Every discipline is touched by patients with dementia. This video education course delivers essential information to help all disciplines identify appropriate candidates, stage the patient, write proper goals and deliver evidence-based interventions for successful goal outcomes. This course material has become increasingly relevant and necessary for OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs, SLP/SLPAs and nurses in today's healthcare environment. The instructor has designed the course to give the clinician the tools to build on existing skills and provide a framework for success across all therapy disciplines.
AOTA Classification Codes
OT Process: Evaluation, Intervention
- Summarize the various types and causes of dementia.
- Give examples of screening and evaluation tools across disciplines to identify appropriate dementia therapy candidates.
- Discuss how to ‘stage’ a patient with dementia and understand use of ‘spared capabilities’ to achieve goals.
- Develop long and short term goals for four primary deficits: mobility (falls), communication, socialization and behaviors.
- Design evidence-based interventions and strategies for successful outcomes.
Margaret "Peggy" Watson M.S., CCC-SLP is a practicing speech-language pathologist with more than 20 years of experience working with the geriatric population. She currently works for Select Rehabilitation Hospital, Denton, Texas. Ms. Watson specializes in dementia intervention including the areas of communication, mobility, socialization, behaviors and dysphagia and shares her vast knowledge for all disciplines through a compelling presentation complete with personal experiences, videos and an interactive goal writing lab. She and her colleague, Nancy Shadowens, developed this dementia program and the course has been successful on all levels of expectation for all settings including inpatient and outpatient. Watson and Shadowens co-authored an article published in Advance for Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists. They have co-written two books, one for therapists, providing a step-by-step guide to achieve successful outcomes, Dementia Therapy & Program Development; and one for caregivers, Dementia Loving Care with a Therapeutic Benefit. Ms. Watson has presented this program nationally and internationally and for state and national conventions. Ms. Watson is licensed in the state of Texas and is a member of the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association. She is co-owner of Consultants in Dementia Therapy PLLC, a company founded to be a resource for therapists whose responsibility it is to help people with dementia achieve their highest level of function.
Types and Causes of Dementia
Stages 1-5 of Dementia
Staged 6-7 of Dementia
Suggested Therapy Screening Tools
Documentation and Paperwork Guidelines
Evidenced Based Intervention
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.2 CEUs (2.0 Hrs)
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLPs)
- This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (OTs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (2 PDUs)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #1902009TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products,
- or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- 2.0 Hrs PT/PTAs in AR, IL, NM, NY, PA(PTCE009900), TX (2 CCUs)
- 2.0 Hrs OT/COTAs in FL(CE Broker #20-510772)
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, ME, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA(type 1), WA, WI, WY
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!