Respiratory Muscle Weakness Therapeutic Application
This course was developed to improve Clinician understanding of Respiratory Muscle Weakness (RMW), an extremely prevalent issue that is often undertreated. Learners are provided with a comprehensive and inter-professional approach to client: identification, assessment, treatment, documentation and discharge planning for those impacted by RMW. This introductory level course provides insight into Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) to effectively treat RMW. Course provides learners with RMT treatment strategies including the use of devices like; Positive Expiratory Pressure or PEP and PN Medical's inspiratory and expiratory resistance trainer, The Breather.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify 4 conditions that cause respiratory system breakdown and the implications related to Respiratory Muscle Weakness (RMW)
- Name 8 assessments that can be used in identifying RMW and obtaining baseline measures and appropriate discipline specific use
- Use new knowledge of Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) to implement a program in their setting to improve clinical outcomes
- Relate RMW and RMT to current industry reimbursement changes for best practice application for each setting available evidence.
Elizabeth Page, MA, CCC-SLP (Betsy) has been a Speech Language Pathologist for over 15 years. She is a graduate of the University of Central Florida and has experience in various long-term care settings. Betsy enjoys an interdisciplinary approach to Cardiopulmonary assessment and treatment. She promotes this by actively engaging all team members to participate in a collaborative approach to each client’s needs. She is a leader in her field and strives for great outcomes with each client impacted by Respiratory Muscle Weakness. Betsy has a passion for clinical program implementation and education. She has been a continuing education instructor for 4 years, educating PT, OT, RT, Nursing and SLP healthcare professionals. Her area of expertise is Respiratory Muscle Weakness and Cardiopulmonary conditions. She is a Clinical Consultant, instructor and clinical content developer for a therapy company and serves as PN Medical’s Master Clinician, content expert and continuing education consultant.
Financial Disclosure: Betsy Page received a consulting fee from PN Medical for this recorded course.
Non-Financial Disclosure: no relevant disclosures.
Conditions that cause respiratory system breakdown, identification, and baseline measurements
Discipline specific assessment and treatment tools. Program development. Reimbursement.
Improving clinical outcomes
Beat practice for each setting
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 1.0 CE Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.1 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required at completion
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.1 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (1.0 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2202009#TX*
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- Approved for:
- 1.0 hr OT/COTAs in FL (CEBroker #20-714573)
- 1.0 hr PT/PTAs in AR, CA (CIAO22-05), IL, LA, MD (2020-819), MS, NM, NJ (2112-113), NV
- 1.0 hr PT/PTAs NY, OH (21S2267), TN (#2021-133 expires 9/13/22 ) TX (1.0 CCU*), WV (CIAO-22-01)
- 1.0 contact hr non-traditional Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care Course #184238000
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL, AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY,, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND
OT/COTAs in OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)