Alternative Career Pathways for Speech-Language Pathology
TWO WAYS TO ATTEND:
- Attend as part of the LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- Attend via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world. Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer.
- This live event is streamed in real time.
- Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
- Registrants who attend the live broadcast will be able to interact with instructor.
- All registrants will have access to the broadcast recording for 14 days.
- A group may view the course together, however each attendee must be individually registered in order to receive CE credit.
- SLPs - this course is registered with ASHA as Blended Learning. ASHA CEUs may be earned by attending live, viewing the recording, or a combination of both.
- OT/PTs - Participants who need live hours for state license renewal must attend in real time yet, will still have access to the recording for 14 days.
- Attend/view entire course
- Pass multiple choice quiz (80% min score)
- Complete online course evaluation
Working as a speech language pathologist can be challenging. With mounting paperwork, high caseloads, administrative red tape SLPs may find themselves asking, 'what else can I do with my degree?'.
This introductory course will compliment strengths typical of SLP and help SLPs explore this question further by identifying transferable skills, their strengths and alternative career pathways. This course will also provide guidance on how to complete the job search, resume and interview process to develop services and products in order to generate multi-stream income.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify transferable skills, strengths, and interests
- Identify certifications within the SLP practice to specialize into a new career path
- Identify non-therapy career opportunities in the allied health fields
- Identify career paths in non-healthcare fields
- Outline an action plan for their proposed alternate career paths
- Describe ways to market their skills, products and/or services
- Conduct job searches, build resumes and sharpen interviewing skills
Dr. Katandria Johnson
MS, MA, CCC-SLP, CAS, CPH, CPC
Dr. K.L. Johnson, DrPH, MS, MA, CCC-SLP, CPH, CAS, CPCRT is a multi-lingual, nationally certified speech-language pathologist, linguist, certified autism specialist, certified public health researcher and certified in the practice of cognitive rehabilitation. She is founder and director of the non-profit, Dr. Love’s Healthcare and Dr. Love’s Integrative Nutrition & Lifestyle Medicine, PLLC.
She is CEO and director of K&K Services, whose professional work has been recognized by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association, American Public Health Association and featured in BusinessWeek Magazine. For more information, please contact at https://www.drkatjohnson.com/.
Financial Disclosure: Dr. Johnson receives an honorarium for her live course presentations and royalties for the sale of her online courses through CIAO Seminars. Dr. Johnson is the founder and director of the non-profit, Dr. Love’s Healthcare and Dr. Love’s Integrative Nutrition & Lifestyle Medicine, PLLC. She is also CEO and director of K&K Services, a multilingual healthcare service.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Dr. Johnson is a member and board trustee of People to People International (PTPI).
08:00 - 08:30
Welcome, course objectives and personal accounts
08:30 - 09:00
How did I get here?
09:00 - 09:30
09:30 - 09:45
Your Strengths, Interests, & Personality Test
09:45 - 10:00
Alternate Career Paths
10:15 - 11:15
Putting your plan in action
11:15 - 12:15
Job search, resume building, and interview skills
12:45 - 01:15
Marketing your skills, product and/or service
01:15 - 02:15
Analyzing your marketing strategy
02:30 - 03:30
Final Thoughts, Q & A
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.65 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
0.65 ASHA CEUs