Complex Pediatric Airway and Tracheostomy: Medical Management
There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!:):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
12:30 PM Central (1:30 PM Eastern; 11:30 AM Mountain; 10:00 AM Pacific)
Multidisciplinary medical teams are a growing standard of care for complex pediatric diagnoses. This is especially true for children with complex airway problems and tracheostomies. This course will cover complex pediatric airway diagnoses, surgical management, indications for tracheostomy, and multidisciplinary team management. We will review the role of the SLP within a multidisciplinary team, including evaluation and management of feeding/swallowing disorders and communication. Within this management, there will be a focus on the evaluation and utilization of one-way speaking valves. There will also be a section dedicated to family/caregiver education and recent global initiatives as well. Case examples and videos will be included throughout this presentation.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe components of an interdisciplinary team providing care to children with tracheostomy
- Explain and implement a holistic approach to the child with tracheostomy
- Describe how they may continue to foster caregiver education and learning within a variety of home and/or facility settings
Ashley Brown MS CCC-SLP BCS-S is a Speech Language Pathologist at Children's Health Medical Center in Dallas, TX. She is a board certified specialist in swallowing and swallowing disorders with the ABSSD. Her clinical focus is with the assessment and management of complex pediatric airway diagnoses, tracheostomy, and swallowing disorders. She is co-author on several peer review publications. She is the lead SLP in the Airway Management Program at Children's Health.
Financial Disclosure Ashley receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of her live courses and royalties for the sale of her online courses.
Non-Financial Disclosure: There are no non-financial relationships to disclose.
12:00 - 12:05
12:05 - 12:20
Pediatric Airway Diagnoses
12:20 - 12:45
Surgical Airway Management
12:45 - 01:00
01:00 - 01:30
One-Way Speaking Valve Evaluation and Management-case studies
01:45 - 02:15
Advanced feeding/dysphagia review with case studies
02:15 - 02:45
Building a multidisciplinary team and outcomes
02:45 - 03:00
Family and community education
03:00 - 03:15
Review of global initiatives
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 3 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.3 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (3 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 3.0 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 3.5 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-891175)
Course meets requirements for:
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
0.3 ASHA CEUs
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)