Lymphedema Management of the Head and Neck
TWO WAYS TO ATTEND:
- Attend as part of the LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- Attend via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world. Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer.
- This live event is streamed in real time.
- Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
- Registrants who attend the live broadcast will be able to interact with instructor.
- All registrants will have access to the broadcast recording for 14 days.
- A group may view the course together, however each attendee must be individually registered in order to receive CE credit.
- SLPs - this course is registered with ASHA as Blended Learning. ASHA CEUs may be earned by attending live, viewing the recording, or a combination of both.
- OT/PTs - Participants who need live hours for state license renewal must attend in real time yet, will still have access to the recording for 14 days.
- Attend/view entire course
- Pass multiple choice quiz (80% min score)
- Complete online course evaluation
"Lymphedema Management of the Head and Neck," is an intermediate level course that will provide the foundational knowledge and skills to evaluate and provide treatment for lymphedema of the head and neck. Medical Speech-Language Pathologists are recognized as key team members in the management of individuals with head and neck cancer and can bring value into the realm of lymphedema management. Learners will take a deep dive into the lymphatic system and discover how lymphedema can impact the swallowing mechanism and communication. This course will address considerations of lymphedema management especially for head and neck cancer as well as unique cases with solutions that therapists may face such as placement of tracheostomy or PEG tube. This course is open to speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, COTAs, physical therapists, and PTAs. Clinicians will complete the course with the knowledge and skills to determine appropriate intervention strategies to provide optimal care for individuals with lymphedema of the head and neck.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Review the anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system specific to the head and neck.
- Describe consequences of the presence of lymphedema in the head and neck region.
- Discuss evaluation methods appropriate for lymphedema in the head and neck region.
- Recognize indications, precautions, and contraindications of complete decongestive therapy for individuals with lymphedema of the head and neck.
- Select appropriate manual lymphatic drainage techniques to the head and neck.
- Summarize necessary modifications in complete decongestive therapy for individuals with head and neck lymphedema.
SLP.D, CCC-SLP, CLT-LANA
Dr. Mallory Moore is a certified speech-language pathologist and LANA certified lymphedema therapist from Ozark, Missouri. Dr. Moore earned her clinical doctorate in Speech-Language Pathology from Nova Southeastern University in 2018, Masters of Science in Speech-Language Pathology from Missouri State University in 2011, and Bachelors of Science in Communication Sciences Disorders from Missouri State University in 2009.
Since 2011, she has worked in various settings including Outpatient Rehabilitation, Long Term Acute Care, Acute Care, and Inpatient Rehabilitation. Her primary setting throughout her career has been in Outpatient Rehabilitation where she focused her clinical practice towards serving individuals with dysphagia and voice disorders. She primarily works with individuals with head and neck cancer including total laryngectomy care, various dysphonia cases, vocal cord dysfunction, and neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS and Parkinson’s disease. She is a mentor and provides training for colleagues in laryngoscopy, videostroboscopy, FEES, MBSS, and TEP management.
Dr. Moore is a per-course faculty member at Missouri State University and Nova Southeastern University. Additionally, she provides consultative work on system-wide development of medical speech-language pathology intervention that includes supporting the speech-language pathologists knowledge and skills needed within the medical environment. Dr. Moore serves on the board of directors for two non-profits, Ozark Neurological Foundation and Lary’s Speakeasy. She has been a review committee member for the head and neck cancer division of the 2022 ASHA Convention and the 2021 and 2022 Leadership Development Program.
Financial Disclosure: Mallory receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s)
Non-financial Disclosure: There are no relevant relationships to disclose.
07:30 - 08:00
08:00 - 08:15
08:15 - 09:15
The Lymphatic System: What is Lymphedema? Anatomy and Physiology, Impacted Populations
09:15 - 09:45
Deep Dive into Head and Neck Cancer, Swallowing, Communication
09:45 - 10:15
HNC Presentations of Lymphedema
10:30 - 11:00
Complete Decongestive Therapy Overview
11:00 - 11:15
Evidence Based Practices of CDT
11:15 - 11:30
12:30 - 01:00
MLD Introduction, Lab/Discussion: Short Neck and Deep System
01:00 - 01:30
Lab/Discussion: Trunk and Axilla Sequence
01:30 - 02:00
Lab/Discussion: Supine Lateral and Anterior Neck Sequence
02:00 - 02:15
Lab/Discussion: Prone Neck and Scalp Sequence
02:30 - 03:00
03:00 - 03:20
03:20 - 03:50
Lab/Discussion: Finishing Sequences
03:50 - 04:20
Evaluation, Goals, Billing & Coding, and Physician Communication
04:20 - 05:15
Lab/Discussion: Measuring and Goals
05:15 - 05:30
End of Day Q&A
07:30 - 07:45
Start of Day Q&A, Overview of Day 1
07:45 - 08:45
Brief CDT Overview, Introduction to Bandaging
08:45 - 09:00
09:00 - 09:15
Garments and Unique Garment Considerations
09:15 - 09:30
Lab/Discussion: Garment Measuring
09:30 - 09:45
Exercise and Compression Pumps
10:00 - 10:15
Skin, Oral Care, and Infections
10:15 - 10:30
Unique Considerations: Scar Work, Myofascial Release, Presence of Tracheostomy, Malignant Lymphedema, Kinesiology Taping, & Travel
10:30 - 11:30
Lab/Discussion: Full MLD Sequence Demo and Lab
11:30 - 11:45
End of Day Q&A
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 12 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (1.2 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (14.4 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2502009#TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- CIAO is a PT Approved Provider #BAP202310092 for the Oklahoma Medical Board. All PT courses for the 2022-2023 reporting period are approved.
- Approved for:
- 12 Hrs. PT/PTAs in CA (#CIAO23-67), IL, OK(#BAP202310092), TX (APTA TX #2502009 for 12 CCUs)
- 12 Hrs. Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 14 Hrs. OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-990942)
- 14.4 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL,AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT,
PT/PTAs in NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
1.2 ASHA CEUs
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)