Aphasia Therapy Through the Service Settings:
Effective communication is nowhere more essential than in the healthcare setting where critical decision making about one’s own care and future are taking place. The patient with aphasia presents a tremendous challenge to the SLP as they attempt to provide them with the ability to effectively communicate their wants and needs. The many types and severity levels of the patient with aphasia presents unique challenges in providing effective and consistent service delivery through the many service areas. This course will demonstrate how to set up aphasia therapy using the throughput core measure of JCAHO in order to provide consistent intervention through the continuum of care.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Review the basics of the input and output modalities of language use
- Understand the aphasia classification system
- Determine a communication needs protocol
- Discuss co-morbidities that may affect communication abilities
- Determine an educational plan for families and caregivers using a multi modality approach to communication
07:30 - 08:00
08:00 - 09:00
Aphasia Classification System
09:00 - 10:15
10:30 - 12:00
Communication Needs Assessment
12:00 - 01:00
Lunch (on your own)
01:00 - 02:30
Treatment through the continuum of care
02:45 - 03:45
03:45 - 04:30
Case Studies, Q&A
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLP)
- 0.7 CEUs (7 Hours)
- This course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area).
- Meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (7 PDUs)
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
This course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area).