Kinesiology Taping Techniques for Swallowing Disorders
This course instruction assumes a prior knowledge of dysphagia and anatomy/physiology of the head and neck. For an excellent review of the normal and abnormal swallow, we recommend bundling the ecourse “Anatomy of Swallowing”. Please note that VitalStim Providers and past attendees of John Kelly’s Myofascial Release and Other Manual Techniques in Dysphagia Management course may have already completed Anatomy of Swallowing (not sure..., just ask CIAO).
There are two ways to participate if taking this as a live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE CE):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Elastic taping techniques have gained the attention of rehab providers offering support while allowing functional movement. This research-based modality has a variety of applications to address functional impairment. This course will focus on taping strategies relevant to dysphagia therapy. Therapeutic applications provide re-education of the neuromuscular system, influence lymphatic drainage, improve localized circulation and reduce pain. Diagnoses familiar to the dysphagia specialist benefit from its use. Taping strategies offer muscular inhibition as in craniomandibular hypertonus, muscular recruitment facilitating hyoid movement and minimize postural compensation related to sensory input. This course will educate the dysphagia clinician on the therapeutic benefit of taping to improve motor patterns and facilitate a client's functional independence. Though focused on the adult population, experienced pediatric clinicians can easily apply these techniques to the pediatric population.
- This course will be heavy in labs where participants will gain the confidence, they need to be successful.
- Participants will receive 1:1 time with the instructor while practicing taping techniques at a course on tour.
- Taping supplies for live, in-person attendees has been generously donated by StrengthTape
Appropriate Disciplines: SLP/SLPAs, OT/COTAs
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Hands-on labs, Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
NOTE: Participants who are Live Streaming the event should have the following available:
- Alcohol prep pads (3-5)
- Pair of scissors.
- Kinesiology tape (full roll if you have it; minimum 6 feet). This can be purchased at a drugstore or ask your Physical Therapy Dept for some.
- Lab partner We highly encourage you to have a lab partner available to get the most out of the labs. One lab involves taping the scapula which is hard to do on yourself.
Anatomy education: Instructor goes through anatomy review quickly. If you are not as familiar as you'd like, consider bundling the Anatomy of Swallowing e-course and completing in advance with a $20 discount. There is an option to bundle during the checkout.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Review oral, pharyngeal myofascial anatomy and physiology
- Describe biomechanical consequence of muscular and soft tissue dysfunction with their effects on swallowing
- Define postural impairment and basic craniomandibular dysfunction and their relationship to mastication
- Define impaired breath patterns and proper assessment in a functional breathing screening
- Discuss precautions and contraindications for preparatory myofascial release and taping application
- Demonstrate evaluation, basic soft tissue mobilization and taping application for the jaw, anterior cervical, rib cage and scapula in feeding treatment
- Identify a proper treatment approach utilizing medical taping techniques through selected case study based on evaluation findings
- Identify postural dysfunction and upper quadrant instability and relate to an interdisciplinary approach to rehabilitation in the management of swallowing impairment
A graduate of the University of St. Augustine’s graduate Physical Therapy Program. John has over 17 years’ experience with acute inpatient and hospital-based outpatient rehabilitation and currently an outpatient clinical director for Siskin Rehabilitation Hospital in Chattanooga, Tennessee. John continues to balance full time patient care with administrative responsibilities. John is NDT certified and an experienced manual orthopedic therapist working toward his clinical doctorate and manual therapy certification. John is a certified VitalStim® Instructor and has taught orthopaedic and electrotherapy courses across the country. John is an accomplished clinical instructor and consistently is recognized for his exceptional patient rapport and strong evaluations from course participants.
Financial Disclosure: John is a salaried employee for his position at Siskin Rehabilitation Hospital. John Kelly receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of his live courses. He also receives royalties for the purchase of his recorded course(s)
Non-financial Disclosure: No relevant non-financial relationship exists.
07:30 - 08:00
Registration/Sign in (light refreshments provided)
08:00 - 08:15
08:15 - 08:30
Anatomy and kinematics; oral, pharyngeal, esophageal and diaphragm breathing patterns
08:30 - 09:30
Integrating postural instability
09:30 - 10:00
Lab: hyolaryngeal palpation and myofascial/postural assessment
10:00 - 10:15
Taping application guidelines and treatment considerations
10:30 - 10:45
Lab/Discussion: tissue preparation with oral and facial myofascial release technique
10:45 - 12:00
Lab: taping application for the face and jaw
12:00 - 01:00
Lunch (on your own)
01:00 - 01:15
Lab/Discussion: tissue preparation with anterior neck myofascial release technique
01:15 - 03:00
Lab: taping application for the anterior neck
03:15 - 03:30
Lab/Discussion: tissue preparation with trunk lateral wall myofascial release technique
03:30 - 04:45
Lab: taping application for the posterior neck, upper quadrant and trunk
04:45 - 05:00
Case study and discussion
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 7.5 Hrs.
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.75 ASHA CEUs) ASHA Bubble Sheet must be completed at course
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider (0.75 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (7.5 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the TBPTE Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- Approved for:
- 7.5 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, TX(7.5 CCUs)
- 9.0 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 9.0 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-698099)
This course is offered for 0.75 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)