There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course begins (2 options):
#1) 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 7:00 AM Mountain; 6:00 AM Pacific)
#2) 12:00 PM Central (1:00 PM Eastern; 11:00 AM Mountain; 10:00 AM Pacific)
Head and Neck Cancer (HNC) has devastating effects on an individual’s quality of life. The complexity of rehabilitation needs can leave the PT, OT and SLP feeling overwhelmed. Patients require specialized, interdisciplinary rehabilitation throughout treatment and survivorship. This intermediate level course for PTs, OTs, and SLPs provides an overview of the evaluation and treatment of dysphagia, dysarthria, trismus, laryngectomy, lymphedema, radiation fibrosis, pain, shoulder dysfunction, cervical and thoracic mobility, and cancer-related fatigue with a multidisciplinary, collaborative rehabilitation approach. Following this course, participants will be able to develop and implement an interdisciplinary, comprehensive rehabilitation program to address the complex needs of this population.
OT/COTA, PT/PTA, SLP/SLPA Course Level:
Intermediate Assessment Methods:
Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the epidemiology, etiology, Presentation and prognosis of Head and Neck Cancer (HNC).
- Illustrate the adverse short- and long-term effects of cancer treatment.
- Demonstrate the need for interdisciplinary rehabilitation for individuals with Head and Neck Cancer.
- Illustrate how physical therapy interventions and speech and swallowing therapies complement each other.
- Explain normal swallowing mechanics, tools to assess the swallow and effective therapy approaches to retrain swallow function.
- Explain and demonstrate PT/OT assessment and treatment of functional deficits resulting from head and neck cancer and treatments
- Create a timeline for the appropriate implementation of physical, occupational and speech interventions through-out the diagnosis, treatment, recovery and survivorship from Head and Neck Cancer
- Devise a Head and Neck Cancer Pathway that implements a comprehensive, multidisciplinary treatment approach.
Stacey Brill M.S.CCC-SLP is a licensed Speech Language Pathologist certified by the American Speech, Language, and Hearing Association since 1993. She graduated with her B.S in Communicative Disorders from University of Central Florida and her M.S. in Speech Language Pathology from Nova Southeastern. She has specialized in the area of Dysphagia associated with Oral/Head/Neck Cancer rehabilitation since 2004. Advanced skills include Video Fluoroscopic Swallow Studies, Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES), Videostroboscopy, Vital Stim provider, Tracheo-Esphogeal Puncture (TEP) management, and Myofascial release in the area of Trismus and Dysphagia. STAR certified. Founder and facilitator of local chapter of SPOHNC (Support for People with Oral, Head, Neck Cancer). Event Chairperson of annual awareness walk/run for Head/Neck Cancer to raise funds for local head/neck cancer grant. Organizer of annual free community wide screenings for Oral, Head, Neck Cancer. Created Head/Neck cancer pathway, Head/Neck Cancer Clinic/Education Class and Laryngectomy education modules for the Lee Health System. Interested in identifying new or better ways to treat dysphagia and dysphonia in order to maximize functional outcomes and quality of life following cancer treatment. Dedicated to community and healthcare education of oral/head/neck cancer.
Financial Disclosure: Stacey receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course.
Non-Financial Disclosure: No relevant disclosures.
Brianne Carter PT, DPT has been practicing as a physical therapist since 2006. Brianne treats a variety of adult and pediatric patients with orthopedic, oncological and neurological diagnoses, specializing in oncology and disorders of the neck and spine. She developed comprehensive physical therapy program for head and neck cancer and is a member of the Head and Neck Cancer Pathway for Lee Memorial Health System. Brianne has completed the STAR Certification for Oncology. She is Graston Certified and has extensive training in manual therapy. She served as an adjunct faculty member in the Physical Therapy Department at FGCU. She served as a Board member and President of the Southwest Florida Physical Therapy Association.
Financial Disclosure: Brianne receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course.
Non-Financial Disclosure: No relevant disclosures.
Offering #1 is 8:00am - 11:15pm, Offering #2 is 12:00pm - 3:15pm (all times are CST)
Head and Neck Cancer the need for interdisciplinary rehab
Development of interdisciplinary rehab pathway
Speech and swallowing deficits and therapy approaches
Physical & Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment approaches
Physical & Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment approaches continued
Laryngeal Cancer communication and safety protocols
Patient advocacy in your community
Discussion and questions
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.3 CEUs (3.0 Contact Hours)
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.3 ASHA CEUs) ASHA bubble sheet submission required
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (3.0 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the TBPTE Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- Approved for:
- 3.0 Hrs PT/PTAs in IL, OK(#201913800), TX(3 CCUs)
- 3.6 Hrs PT/PTAs in NY
- 3.5 Hrs OT/COTAs in FL(CE#20-797744)
Course meets requirements for:
SLP/SLPAs (CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider)
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs (CIAO is an AOTA and NBCOT Approved Provider)
Call CIAO 888-909-CIAO(2426) if you have questions about CE Approval
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive CEU Certificate at the end of the course.
This course is offered for 0.3 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level, Professional Area)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!