There are two ways to participate in this LIVE class:
1. As part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida
2. Via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world.
Live stream participants will login to the CIAO Website to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor. Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
So much of what we know about our world comes through our visual system. It affects reading, writing, posture, use of a communication board and so much more, yet we are taught so little about this system that has such a huge impact on the functional abilities of our children.
This engaging course will explain the anatomy and physiology of the visual system through evidence-based research and demonstrate the role vision plays in making academics more difficulty for some children. Therapists will learn to recognize the simple signs of undiagnosed vision-based learning impediments so they might better interpret the results of standardized testing. Through lab practice and case studies, attendees will gain confidence in assessing ocular motor and near vision focusing skills then design programs and use modifications to get the best possible outcomes. Attendees will then learn easy and fun techniques for improving these skills.
Appropriate Disciplines OT/COTA, PT/PTA, SLP/SLPA
Course Level: Introductory
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Interpret behaviors and difficulties that could indicate an undiagnosed vision problem
- Illustrate the role vision is playing in the development of their pediatric patients
- Identify the eye care professional best suited for your patient’s vision problem
- Identify the parts and function of the near vision triad
- Differentiate ocular motor difficulties from dyslexia
- Document ocular motor and near vision focusing problems
- Differentiate when to perform visual perception testing and when to wait
- Utilize modifications during treatment to compensate for visual dysfunction
Robert Constantine, OTR\L is a 1997 graduate of University of Alabama at Birmingham Occupational Therapy program where he was awarded the Charles Brooks Award for Creativity. He has practiced in home health, and skilled nursing contexts and spent 9 years as the clinical specialist in brain injury at the West Florida Rehabilitation Institute where he developed a passion for evidenced-based treatment, sharing information and the functional effects of the visual system. Beginning in 2013, he enjoyed a 3 year tenure at an optometry practice where he learned techniques working closely with low vision, pediatric and adult optometrists. He has received Clinical Level 1 and 2 training offered by the Neuro-Optometric Rehab Association. He was also instructed in sports vision training working with the High Performance Vision Associates, a national group of optometrists that offer sports vision screenings to elite athletes. He developed specialized Drag Racing Glasses and has worked with NHRA Sportsman and Professional Drag Racers. He continues to provide vision rehabilitation services to pediatric and adult patients at the Pearl Nelson Center and Kindred at Home in Pensacola, Florida. Robert has been a national and international presenter for since 2016. His courses are engaging and full of personal experience and the latest evidence-based research.
Financial Disclosure: Rob receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. Non-Financial Disclosure: None
08:00 - 08:30
Introduction to The problem
08:30 - 09:00
Understanding the Who and What of the Pediatric Eye Exam
09:00 - 09:30
Anatomy and Physiology of the Visual System from Cornea to Cortex
09:30 - 10:00
Common Congenital Visual Disorders
10:15 - 10:45
Assessing Ocular motor and near vision focusing skills
10:45 - 11:15
Understanding Common Vision Diagnosis
11:15 - 11:45
Is it dyslexia? Vision problem? Both??
11:45 - 12:00
12:30 - 01:00
Visual Profiles of Common Pediatric Diagnosis
01:00 - 02:00
Treating Ocular Motor and Near Vision Focusing Problems
02:00 - 03:00
Treating Posture and Balance through the Visual System
03:15 - 03:45
Visual Perception and Visual Motor Integration
03:45 - 04:15
Resources to Learn More
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 7.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.75 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (7.5 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- 7.5 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, TX (7.5 CCUs)
- 9 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 9 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (#20-801246)
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
Call CIAO 888-909-CIAO(2426) if you have questions about CE Approval
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive CEU Certificate at the end of the course.
This course is offered for 0.75 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!