Numerous treatment strategies for working with individuals with Autism have evolved over the years leaving clinicians and teachers feeling overwhelmed. The 3 stepping stones courses for SLPs, OTs, and teachers presents a framework for designing an eclectic program to work with individuals with Autism. Emphasis on structure takes a front row seat in the design of your programs and classroom. As clinicians or teachers, our working understanding of Autism becomes the foundation of our decision making process in both designing curriculum and structure. The more we understand the individuals we serve with Autism, the better the outcomes for our patients. Topics covered include: Autism statistics, theories on causes, learning characteristics, Systematic instruction, Incidental Teaching, Reinforcers, Language, Social Skills, Structuring the Environment and more. These mini courses show professionals ways to include numerous therapeutic techniques into the daily routine and the effectiveness of using an eclectic program in the treatment of individuals with Autism.
AOTA Classification Codes
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be obtained by completing the online ASHA form and checking the "Report to ASHA" box.
OT Process: Evaluation
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Provide a working definition of Autism and what it includes
- State the learning characteristics of those with Autism
- Give strategies to enhance learning
- Compare language development in typically developing and autistic preschoolers
- Discuss communication temptations and provide an activity to facilitate communication
- Discuss 3 other activities that are known to improve language skills
M.S. CCC-SLP, NDC
Jodie graduated from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL with a Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders. She has been a practicing speech language pathologist since 1995 with extensive experience in the private sector, school settings and clinical experience in hospital settings which include long term care and outpatient rehab. Jodie became a VitalStim® Provider in 2005. Since then she has utilized this modality in the treatment of dysphagia with both her pediatric and adult patients. Jodie is also a licensed NOMAS® practitioner and certified in NDC (NMES for Dysphagia), MDTP (McNeil Dysphagia Therapy Program) and Myofascial Release. She has presented locally and nationally on various topics such as Best Practices, The Benefits of Oral Motor/Feeding Therapy on Articulation/Speech Clarity amongst others. Currently, Jodie serves the Speech Language Pathology profession as a therapist at Val Verde Regional Hospital in TX and as a certified instructor of the VitalStim® Therapy and DINES Specialty Certificate Program for CIAO Seminars.
Financial Disclosure: Jodie receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s)
Non-Financial Disclosure: Jodie uses VitalStim Therapy in her practice.
Definition of Autism, Statistics, Prevalence
Comparison of Language Development
- Online - This course is offered in an online on demand format.
- Club CIAO - This online course is also available as part of our all-you-can-eat buffet of online courses – available at one low price.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 1.0 Hour
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.1 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.1 AOTA CEUS)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (1 PDU)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.1 CEUs for this program
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for <u>0.1</u> ASHA CEUs
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
"great online course"
- Belle Plaine, IA / Jul 2017
"Excellent course with well developed examples that are relevant to the therapist working in the school systems."
- St.. Louis, MO / Aug 2016
"Excellent course. Appropriate for SLP that work with Autistic children."
- East Meadow, NY / Jul 2016
"Excellent speaker to listen too."
- Kingsville, MD / Nov 2015
"Took as a refresher and to have thorough possible background knowledge leading up to parts 2 and 3."
- Brookfield, CT / Oct 2015
"Great course for beginner SLPs. "
- Navarre, FL / Sep 2013