Children in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit are a fast-growing segment of a Feeding Therapists Caseload. Premature Infants are very different in many ways from full-term newborns. Come learn some of the important, necessary and fascinating information on reading a babys communicative cues, proper positioning for safer feeding and motoric development, and how to promote breastfeeding even in the NICU. In this dynamic educational presentation for SLPs and OTs, you will be able to see the behaviors discussed in actual photographs from the NICU.
AOTA Classification Codes
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be obtained by completing the online ASHA form and checking the "Report to ASHA" box.
Domain of OT: Client Factors, Activity Demands
OT Process: Intervention
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the importance of the premature infants behavioral cues and self-regulation in successful feeding;
- Explain the importance of proper positioning during feeding and at rest for proper development
- Discuss realistic expectations for breastfeeding in the NICU
Jennifer Meyer, M.A. CCC-SLP has over 20 years experience specializing in pediatric oral motor, speech, and feeding disorders. She is a popular national speaker and has received exceptional ratings for her courses. Jennifer has worked in many Neonatal Intensive Care Units, developed an outpatient hospital-based feeding program and served as an Oral Motor/ Feeding Consultant for Early Childhood Intervention Programs. In her role as Assistant Clinical Professor at Texas Woman’s University she taught Neurology, Language Development, and Dysphagia courses both on campus and online. She developed and served as the Clinical Coordinator of the Center for Assisting Families with Feeding and Eating (CAFFE). She is currently consulting with several Home Health companies in the Dallas-Ft., Worth area, including mentoring more than 150 therapists and assisting in the development of a High-Risk Infant program.
Financial Disclosures: Jennifer receives royalties from CIAO Seminars for the sale of this course.
Non-Financial Disclosures: There are no relevant relationships to disclose
Functions of the Autonomic Nervous System
Mimic the Womb
Calming and Suck Patterns
Safer Feeding and In the NICU
Ready for Discharge
- Online - This course is offered in an online on demand format.
- Club CIAO - This online course is also available as part of our all-you-can-eat buffet of online courses – available at one low price.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.2 CEUs (2 hours)
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLP/SLPAs)
- This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved CE Provider #4119 (OT/COTAs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (2 PDUs)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer .2 CEUs for this program
- 2.0 hours OTs in CA - Advanced Practice Swallowing #25-S13
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
"My favorite part of this course was learning about positioning techniques to ensure safe/successful swallowing. "
- Richland, MS / Dec 2017
"Very comprehensive, clinically applicable"
- Hershey, PA / Nov 2017
"Jennifer is wonderful!! Wish she had more online trainings, I could listen to her talk for hours and hours :)"
- Winston Salem, NC / Jan 2016
- Taylors, SC / Dec 2013
"Excellent job for an online course. The pictures and examples were super helpful. The instructor did a great job of keeping you engaged."
- Philadelphia, PA / Jun 2013