Parents of children born prematurely are often overwhelmed at discharge and unaware of the resources available to them. This unique conversation-styled course is designed explore the preemie journey from NICU and beyond from the perspective of the preemie parents and highlight the key roles NICU/post NICU therapists play along this journey.
AOTA Classification Codes
Domain of OT: Client Factors
At the completion of this course participants will be able to::
- Follow the preemie journey through the eyes of preemie parents
- Understand the crucial role therapists play along this journey
- Identify the primary underlying concern for preemie parents
- Understand how the relationship between therapist and parent can have significant implications on therapeutic outcomes for the child
- Understand the five (5) key areas in which therapists can positively support preemie parents at integral points along the preemie journey
Gigi R. Khonyongwa-Fernandez
Gigi is a preemie and special needs mom, an ICF Credentialed Professional Life Coach and Founder of Families Blossoming LLC, a unique business specializing in providing coaching-based transformative emotional support and other related services to preemie and special needs parents and relevant organizations, hospitals and agencies who serve these families. She also works with companies to increase their awareness of the emotional health challenges their employees with difficult caregiver challenges may face and help them make lasting work/life balance improvements. Gigi received her BSc (honors) in Occupational Therapy (USA), specializing in neurological conditions and holding both clinical and management roles domestically and internationally. She obtained her MSc in Health, Population and Society from The London School of Economics and Political Science (UK) and her Diploma in Personal Performance Coaching (Distinction) from The Coaching Academy (UK). She holds an ACC credential from The International Coach Federation (ICF) and is an active member of the Preemie Parent Association (PPA), National Alliance for Patient Access (formally known as the National Premature Infant Health Coalition (NPIHC), International Coach Federation (ICF) and the Metro D.C. Chapter of ICF (ICF- Metro D.C). Gigi regularly presents at conferences, seminars and workshops and is currently in the process of writing a coaching-based guidebook for the preemie/special needs community.
Combining careers in the technology and publishing fields, Ms. Discenza continues her journey to support others through PreemieWorld (www.PreemieWorld.com). Ms. Discenza, known as the Founder and former Publisher of the successful monthly Preemie Magazine, understands the need of today’s preemie parents to be able to grasp medical information in layman’s terms and to be able to create a “new normal” in the midst of the NICU chaos. She also realizes the incredible challenge for new Preemie Parents to connect with the parenting world at large, as having a preemie is vastly different than a full-term baby. This information is combined with her co-authorship of The Preemie Parent’s Survival Guide to the NICU with little man Director/Producer Nicole Conn.
Therapy Through the Years
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 2.0 Hrs for OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs, SLP/SLPAs
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved CE Provider #AAWA (SLP/SLPAs)
- This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved CE Provider #4119 (OT/COTAs)
- This course meets PDU Requirements for NBCOT (2 PDU)
- CIAO is an IACET Approved Provider
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #1902009TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products,
- or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- 2.0 PT/PTAs in AR, IL, NM, NY, PA(PTCE010353), TX(2CCUs)
- 2.0 OT/COTAs in FL(CE Broker #20-473795)
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, ME, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC,
ND, OR, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!