This brand new course will teach therapists to integrate health and wellness strategies into the daily lives of children and teens who struggle with sensory disorders that impact emotional regulation, attention span, problem solving skills, social interactions, and physical health. As the number of children with sensory processing disorder increases and the correlation between nature-deficit disorder and prevalent childhood disorders is established, it is imperative for therapists to incorporate sensory wellness strategies into their therapeutic interventions. Implementing these strategies into daily life activities improves a child's neurophysiological symptoms resulting from sensory processing disorder.
In this course therapists will learn about the evidence-based therapeutic benefits for youth of yoga, exposure to nature such as green and blue spaces, therapeutic gardening, and much more. Participants will develop a repertoire of fun sensory wellness strategies which can be applied to daily life experiences ultimately helping children develop skills for physical and emotional well-being.
What to bring: Yoga mat, small bean bag animal or bean bag
AOTA Classification Codes
Occupational Therapy Process: Intervention
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Examine current evidence illustrating health and wellness needs in the pediatric population to substantiate application of therapeutic interventions
- Analyze health-related challenges in childhood disorders to correlate a common need across a diverse population of youth.
- Develop a repertoire of practical wellness interventions for youth that can be applied to home, school, and community settings.
- Implement wellness strategies to meet the practice standards of AOTA, ASHA, and APTA.
Jenny L Clark
Jenny L. Clark, OTR/L graduated from The University of Kansas in 1990 with distinction, and has helped children over the past 29 years as a licensed pediatric occupational therapist working as a speaker, consultant, private practitioner at her own clinic (Jenny’s Kids, Inc.), school-based occupational therapist, independent contractor for early intervention services, author, and inventor. Jenny received certification from Aura Wellness Center as a Kids Yoga Teacher in July 2017.
Her passion for developing new approaches to therapy can be seen in her diverse contributions to the field, including: the evidence-based curriculum material Learn to Move, Move to Learn: Sensorimotor Early Childhood Activity Themes (AAPC 2004), and the sequel Learn to Move, Moving Up! Sensorimotor Elementary School Activity Themes (AAPC 2009); two DVD’s Learn to Move: Dinosaurs (AAPC 2005), a companion to her first book, and Sensory Processing Disorder Kit: Simulations and Solutions for Parents, Teachers, and Therapist (AAPC 2006), which won the 2007 media in excellence video award from Autism Society of America; a music CD, Sing, Move, Learn (AAPC 2010), which accompanies the songs in her first book. Jenny was a contributing author for the book Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Handbook for Parents and Professionals (Greenwood Publishing Group 2007), as well as the author of a chapter in Autism Spectrum Disorders: Foundations, Characteristics, and Effective Strategies. (Pearson Publishing 2011). Most recently, Jenny was the technical reviewer for The Everything Parents Guide to Sensory Processing Disorder (Terri Mauro, Adams Media 2014). Jenny is the inventor of the patent-pending “Weigh” Cool Bracelet (www.abilitations.com) and her most recent creation, Letter Treasure Hunt handwriting game (Therapro 2014).
Jenny is known for her dynamic personality, sprinkled with humor that engages people to ‘think outside the box’ inspiring unlimited creative ideas. Jenny’s favorite sensorimotor recreation includes tennis, mountain biking, gardening, and photography
Financial Disclosure: Jenny receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of her live courses. Jenny receives royalties from AAPC Publishing for her book Learn to Move, Move to Learn.
Non-Financial Disclosure: none to disclose
08:00 - 09:00
Identifying occupational wellness needs in pediatrics
09:00 - 09:45
Wellness Interventions for Children & Youth: Nature
10:00 - 11:30
Wellness Interventions for Children & Youth: Nature and Nutrition
12:30 - 01:45
Occupation-Based Wellness Interventions for Children & Youth
02:00 - 03:30
Yoga Poses as Therapeutic Intervention for Kids
- Live On Tour - This course is now being offered live on location throughout the United States.
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.6 CEUs (6.0 Hrs.)
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLPs) Bubble sheet required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (OT/COTAs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the TX Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- 6.0 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, TX (6 CCUs)
- 7.2 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ (Cat A), CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MO, MT,
PT/PTAs in NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
Call CIAO 888-909-CIAO(2426) if you have questions about CE Approval
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive CEU Certificate at the end of the course.
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!