There are two ways to participate in this LIVE class:
1. As part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida
2. Via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world.
Live stream participants will login to the CIAO Website to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor. Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
This one day course will focus on utilizing Yoga and NDT techniques and philosophy for those children with neurological and/or developmental challenges. There are many benefits to everyone to incorporating Yoga into their daily routine. Individuals of all ages and abilities can benefit from a yoga practice. It engages every aspect of body and mind connection to include physical gains, organization of the sensory systems, and the connections within the brain.
We will discuss and identify how the two theories can overlap, through participation in performing the poses, making adaptations for all levels/abilities, labs and video presentations. This course is appropriate for OT's, PT's, ST's, Educators and Developmental Specialists working in a variety of settings.
Yoga benefits for children, especially for those with special challenges:
- Develop physical strength & flexibility
- Increase active/passive range of motion
- Enhance balance and focus
- Increase bilateral integration and crossing midline
- Improve concentration
- Reduce hyperactivity
- Cultivate confidence & self-esteem
- Enhance self-control & relaxation
- Increase cognitive &motor skills
- Relieve/decrease stress
Appropriate Disciplines: OT/COTA, PT/PTA, SLP/SLPA
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Hands on Labs, Q&A and Self-Assessment on Evaluation Form
AOTA Classification Codes
Domain of OT: Activity Demands, Performance Skills
OT Process: Evaluation
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Outline the core principles of yoga and yoga therapy
- Explain the many benefits that yoga has to offer and how it relates to the principles of NDT
- Identify the basic principles of NDT and how to incorporate general handling techniques to guide clients into different yoga poses when tone is present
- Describe the importance of preparation of the body prior to performing yoga poses and how to activate the base of support and foundation for sitting/standing poses
- Explain the importance of using the breath when moving in/out of poses along with several types of yogic breathing.
- Determine postures to consider based on diagnosis for alerting, strengthening, elongating, and increasing bilateral integration.
- Determine postures to avoid based on diagnosis for safety, alignment of the body, neck, circulation and respiration.
OTR/L, C-NDT, IYT
Nancy Marin, OTR/L, C-NDT, IYT, a 1983 graduate of Florida International University with a BS in OT, has over 30 years experience in Pediatrics. She is the owner/president of Occuplay, Inc. in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida where she practices full time in both the private and natural environments settings, from Early Intervention through age 25. She is certified in Advance Baby Treatment through NDTA, Inc., certified Integrative Yoga Therapist, 200 hours, certified provider of The Listening Program- Bone conduction, Tomatis consultant and Reiki Master. Nancy’s experience with special needs children includes private pediatric outpatient, preschool and home environments. Nancy has a true passion for working with neurologically involved children as well as those with Sensory Integrative Disorders and continues to seek out new ways to touch the lives of the children and families she works with.
Financial Disclosure: Nancy receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of her live courses and royalties for the sale of her recorded courses. Nancy receives income as the owner of Occuplay, Inc.
Non-financial Disclosure: There are no relevant relationships to disclose.
08:30 - 10:00
Core Principles of Yoga and Yoga Therapy
10:15 - 12:00
Understanding Importance of Breath Work
12:00 - 01:00
Lunch (on your own)
01:00 - 02:45
Poses Specific for CP, Down Syndrome, Sensory Processing
03:00 - 04:00
Lab with Postures
- Live On Tour - This course is now being offered live on location throughout the United States.
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be.
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch (and interact) from wherever you are or join us in person in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6.5 hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.65 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.65 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (7.8 PDUs - Clinical Lab Assessment)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the TBPTE Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- 7.8 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 6.5 Hrs PT/PTAs in AR, IL, OK(#201914256), TX (6.5CCUs)
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
Call CIAO 888-909-CIAO(2426) if you have questions about CE Approval
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive CEU Certificate at the end of the course.
This course is offered for 0.65 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!