There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
- as part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course time: 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 6:00 AM Pacific)
Whether passing the scope or assisting while the endoscopist passes the scope, this course will help the therapist wade through the challenges of interpreting FEES and creating treatment strategies following the assessment. Course material presents interpretation of the instrumental assessment from a physiological standpoint. The instructor will provide guidelines to dysphagia therapists regarding traditional therapy, modalities such as VitalStim®, and pharmacological implications. In addition, participants will gain strategies for collaboration, consultations, and referrals to other disciplines. This course aims to educate SLPs on comprehensive interpretation of FEES and treatment approaches.
Course Disclosure: This is an intermediate course, and basic knowledge of FEES and FEES interpretation is recommended.
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Summarize professional topics and guidelines related to FEES
- Describe and Identify all anatomical structures observed during FEES
- Identify pathology related to swallowing observed during FEES
- Differentially Diagnose root cause of swallowing pathology, and develop treatment plan and consultation referrals based on this diagnosis
- Use FEES as a biofeedback treatment approach
- Analyze and differentiate treatment protocols for swallowing treatment to include pharmacology, modalities, exercises, and diet modifications
- Interpret abnormal FEES videos and recommend treatment strategies based on information learned in this class
Lubna Nabulsi is a Speech-Language Pathologist that has been practicing in Skilled nursing rehabilitation for 20 years. She graduated with her Masters in Speech-Language Pathology from Towson University in Baltimore Maryland. Prior to becoming and SLP, Lubna was a Medical and Research Technologist working at University of Maryland Hospital Immunology Department. This created a unique knowledge of overall medical pathology and how it related to disease and disorders that affect swallowing. Lubna is currently the Senior SLP at Futurecare Health and Management. Lubna developed a successful inhouse FEES program at all Futurecare skilled nursing facilities., and in the past 10 years has trained over 20 SLP in FEES instrumentation and competency.
08:00 - 09:00
Professional topics and review and evaluation of the anatomy
09:00 - 10:00
instrumentation and supplies for FEES. Mobile fees. PPE and infection control
10:15 - 11:30
FEES Assessment (swallow physiology, dysfunction, and sensory testing)
11:30 - 12:00
12:30 - 02:30
Video interpretation practice
02:45 - 03:30
treatment approaches, referrals, and when to re-FEES
03:30 - 04:45
Inhouse FEES program vs. Outsourced vendor
04:45 - 05:00
Questions and Answers
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours applied for:
- 8 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.8 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
This course is offered for 0.8 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area8
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!