There are two ways to participate in this LIVE class:
1. As part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida
2. Via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world.
Live stream participants will login to the CIAO Website to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor. Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
The range of function in older children with "hypotonia" varies greatly. Hypotonia can impact function greatly or slightly. In this introductory course, the participants will learn through lecture, labs and videos intervention ideas for promoting play and function in older children (3-13 years). The intervention ideas will be based on NDT and SI approaches as well as some ideas from the sports medicine arena. This course will include postural control activities and interventions, activities to integrate ATNR and STNR reflexes, assistive devices for upright mobility, as well as visual motor activities and midline crossing skills required for higher level gross and fine motor skills. Speech therapists will learn the importance of postural alignment and support for breath control as well as play ideas to promote language and communication through play.
Appropriate Disciplines: OT/COTA, PT/PTA, SLP/SLPA
Course Level: Introductory
Assessment Methods: Q&A and Self-Assessment on Evaluation Form
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define and explain the primary and secondary impairments related to low muscle tone and its impact on the older child
- Identify factors impacting the progression of skills as the child ages.
- Demonstrate therapeutic intervention to improve visual motor skills and postural control
- Demonstrate three activities to promote a greater variety of movement patterns.
- Understand how different sensory activities impact the arousal level of the child
Kristin Ibach Owen
Kris Owen, PT is a graduate from UNC-CH with a BA in Psychology and a graduate of Emory University with a MS in Physical Therapy. Although Kris started in therapy as a sports medicine patient while playing on the UNC volleyball team, she has worked exclusively with pediatrics since her graduation from Emory. Kris has worked in out-patient settings throughout her career and has started her own company, Intentional Play, Inc., in 2017. Kris completed her 8-week NDT training with Judith Beirman, PT and has attended the level one SI mentorship at The STAR center with Lucy Jane Miller, OTR. As the lead therapist on The Down Syndrome Clinic at Hope Haven Children’s clinic in Jacksonville, Fl. Kris has had 17 years of assessment and treatment of children with Down syndrome. Also a TLP provider with Advanced Brain Technologies, Kris is also trained in kinesiotaping and Electrotherapeutic Point Stimulation. Kris is blessed to have a profession which fits her personality while helping children and families enjoy the lives they have been given.
Financial Disclosure: No relevant financial relationship exists.
Non-financial Disclosure: No relevant non-financial relationship exists.
08:00 - 10:00
Basic review of hypotonia and special considerations for the older child. Overview of NDT and SI approaches
10:15 - 12:00
Treatment principles and considerations for the older child
12:30 - 01:30
Impact on postural control weakness on function
01:30 - 02:30
Functional compensations and treatment ideas for sitting, standing and gait/LAB
02:45 - 03:30
Impact of Body Awareness, movement patterns and higher-level skills
03:30 - 04:00
external supports to facilitate alignment and activation/LAB
04:00 - 04:15
Question and Answer
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be.
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 7.0 hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLPs) Bubblesheet required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (OT/COTAs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (7 PDUs)
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- This activity is provided by the TBPTE Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- Pre-Approved for:
- 7.0 Hrs PT/PTAs in AR, IL, TX (7 CCUs)
- 8.4 Hrs PT/PTAs in NY
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!