There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
- as part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course time: 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 6:00 AM Pacific)
This interactive course will take the fear out of helping pediatric patients with severe dysphagia who require tube feeding. Participants will leave this course with a strong foundation, and a better understanding, of the many patient and family considerations involved with tube feeding little ones. The instructor will use lecture, videos, pictures and case studies leaving participants with a new feeling of confidence. This course will provide information to support patients and families who may feel overwhelmed facing or living with a feeding tube such as SLPs, OTs, Dysphagia Specialists and Nurses. Family members are also welcomed to attend. Course material will cover relevant issues from infancy through childhood. Discussion will include topics such as history, tube basics, feeding methods, tips and techniques, common complications, equipment care, medical considerations, the heart and mind connection during mealtimes, the role of water, the gut and brain connection, diets, traveling with a tube, the school environment, the role of the dysphagia therapist and treatment considerations. The psychology of tube feeding, impact on the family and mealtime dynamics will also be discussed. Participants will leave with a new confidence in helping patients, families and team members through the world of tube feeding.
Course Level: Introductory
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end
AOTA Classification Codes:
Domain of OT: Areas of Occupation
Occupational Therapy Process: Intervention
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe/discuss the types of feeding tubes available on the market and their purpose
- Identify the various feeding methods utilized with tubes
- Discuss tube and site care, equipment cares and medical complications that can arise or that may be related to tube feeds
- Discuss the psychology of tube feeds and the impact this plays on the family and mealtime dynamics
- Discuss first foods: breast milk, infant formula, animal’s milk
- Discuss positioning during tube feeding
- Discuss various possibilities on ways to decrease tube feeds while increasing oral feeds
- Define the role of the gut in relationship to successful oral feeding/comfort
- Discuss signs and symptoms of discomfort/distress during feed by an infant/child
- Outline an “optimal team” for when a child is tube fed
- Identify the impact of oral development, social development, and nurturing a child with a tube, with a list of strategies to consider
- List factors regarding traveling with tubes
- Discuss feeding across multiple environments, including the school setting
M.S. CCC-SLP, NDC
Jodie graduated from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL with a Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders. She has been a practicing speech language pathologist since 1995 with extensive experience in the private sector, school settings and clinical experience in hospital settings which include long term care and outpatient rehab. Jodie became a VitalStim® Provider in 2005. Since then she has utilized this modality in the treatment of dysphagia with both her pediatric and adult patients. Jodie is also a licensed NOMAS® practitioner and certified in NDC (NMES for Dysphagia), MDTP (McNeil Dysphagia Therapy Program) and Myofascial Release. She has presented locally and nationally on various topics such as Best Practices, The Benefits of Oral Motor/Feeding Therapy on Articulation/Speech Clarity amongst others. Currently, Jodie serves the Speech Language Pathology profession as a therapist at Val Verde Regional Hospital in TX and as a certified instructor of the VitalStim® Therapy and DINES Specialty Certificate Program for CIAO Seminars.
Financial Disclosure: Jodie receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s)
Non-Financial Disclosure: Jodie uses VitalStim Therapy in her practice.
08:00 - 10:00
History, tube basics. feed methods, tips and techniques, The Nissen, equipment care
10:15 - 12:00
Heart and mind connection, water, the gut and health of the gut, first foods versus infant formulas, versus animal milks, blended diets, special diets
12:30 - 02:30
Treatment considerations, impact in OM treatment and feeding, education to family, establish mealtime relationships, mouth/gut connection and comfort,
02:45 - 04:30
Treatment across settings, home environment, eating out at restaurants, school considerations, travel considerations/vacations, educational handouts
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 8 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.8 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider (0.8 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (8 PDUs)
- 9.5 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker (#20-780536)
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.8 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!