There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!:):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 7:00 AM Mountain; 6:00 AM Pacific)
COVID-19 has impacted our personal and professional lives, and how we as speech-pathologists, physical therapists, and occupational therapists’ practice. This course expands on our basic knowledge of virus transmission, known variants, symptomatic vs. asymptomatic as well as current treatments including mechanical ventilation, intubation, and the need for alternative nutrition. Pediatric cases have increased with severe complications such as multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C). Long COVID or long haulers have their own set of health issues that impact quality of life. This course will present current research discussing the known impact on voice, respiration, ADLs, function, endurance, nutrition, GI system, dysphagia and cognition and the challenges faced in rehabilitation of the long haulers or long covid patients.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the transmission of COVID-19
- Discuss the similarities and differences between adult and pediatric COVID-19 cases
- Explain two ways COVID-19 impairs body function
- Summarize positive and negative impacts of mechanical ventilation/intubation
- Apply the research to create your treatment plan
Denise Dougherty, MA, CCC-SLP
Denise owns and operates a private practice in Indiana, PA, where she conducts therapy with both children and adults. She is a legal consultant/expert witness in wrongful death/negligence lawsuits involving dysphagia. Denise is a co-editor of Private Practice Essentials: A Practical Guide for Speech-Language Pathologists, published by ASHA Press. She has presented workshops and written numerous articles appearing in the ASHA Leader on the topic of private practice. Denise served as a consultant for The Arijah Children’s Foundation in Anguilla, BWI, providing evaluations and therapy programs for special needs children. Ms. Dougherty was an adjunct faculty member at York College of Pennsylvania and Wesley College in Dover, Delaware. She is a past President of the American Academy of Private Practice in Speech Pathology and Audiology (AAPPSPA), and received the Academy’s 2007 Honor Award and 2014 Award of Excellence for her achievements. Ms. Dougherty is a member of the Technical Experts Panel for Quality of Insights of Pennsylvania, working on initiating quality measures for CMS to improve effectiveness, efficiency, economy and quality of services delivered to Medicare beneficiaries. She received her bachelor’s degree in communication disorders from Marywood University in Scranton, Pennsylvania; a master’s degree in communication disorders from St. Louis University. Ms. Dougherty is certified in VitalStim® therapy and is a VitalStim® instructor, has completed additional training in orofacial myology, is a member of the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association and has received numerous ASHA ACE Awards. For more information, please visit www.dldspeechpath.com.
Financial Disclosure Denise receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of her live courses and royalties for the sale of her online courses. Denise is in private practice and receives legal consultant/expert witness fees
Non-Financial Disclosure: There are no non-financial relationships to disclose.
08:00 - 08:45
COVID – what is it and how is it transmitted
09:00 - 09:45
Pediatrics – what are we seeing in the pediatric population – similarities/differences from adult population
10:00 - 10:30
Long Haulers – impact of the virus on the body systems that remain long after their initial infection
10:30 - 10:45
Mild vs. Severe COVID – why some individuals become severely ill, and others don’t
10:45 - 11:45
Mechanical Ventilation, Intubation, Alternate Nutrition – when are these interventions necessary
12:15 - 12:45
(cont) Mechanical Ventilation, Intubation, Alternate Nutrition – when are these interventions necessary
12:45 - 01:45
Impact on: Muscle weakness, ADLs, function and endurance; Voice; Respiration; Nutrition; GI system; Dysphagia; Cognition
02:00 - 03:00
(cont) Impact on: Muscle weakness, ADLs, function, and endurance; Voice; Respiration; Nutrition; GI system; Dysphagia; Cognition
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.65 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6.5 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2202009#TX
- This activity meets continuing competence reqirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 6.5 Hrs. PT/PTAs in AR, CA (CIAO22-02). IL, TX (APTA TX #2202009 for 6.5 CCUs)
- 6.5 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN and PT/PTAs in GA
- 7.5 Hrs. OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-894660)
- 7.8 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL, AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND
OT/COTAs in OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
0.65 ASHA CEUs
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!