There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!:):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 7:00 AM Mountain; 6:00 AM Pacific)
As more children with complex airway sequelae and/or tracheostomies are entering school based programs, there is a greater need for specialized training in management of their care. During this course we will review the most common pediatric airway diagnoses, associated surgical interventions, and indications for tracheostomy. We will discuss the basic parts of the trach and ventilator, and the parent/educator education provided for new tracheostomy families. There will also be focus on feeding, voice, and communication disorders within this population, as well as problem solving techniques and therapy approaches. One therapy modality that will be covered in detail is the evaluation and use of one-way speaking valves.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the parts of a tracheostomy
- Describe indications for tracheostomy in the pediatric population
- Describe therapeutic interventions specific to complex airway/tracheostomy population (i.e. one-way speaking valve)
Ashley Brown MS CCC-SLP BCS-S is a Speech Language Pathologist at Children's Health Medical Center in Dallas, TX. She is a board certified specialist in swallowing and swallowing disorders with the ABSSD. Her clinical focus is with the assessment and management of complex pediatric airway diagnoses, tracheostomy, and swallowing disorders. She is co-author on several peer review publications. She is the lead SLP in the Airway Management Program at Children's Health.
Financial Disclosure Ashley receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of her live courses and royalties for the sale of her online courses.
Non-Financial Disclosure: There are no non-financial relationships to disclose.
08:00 - 08:05
08:05 - 08:20
Complex Pediatric Airway Diagnoses
08:20 - 08:35
Surgical Airway Management-Brief review
08:35 - 09:00
Tracheostomy and Ventilator Overview
09:00 - 09:20
One-Way Speaking Valve Evaluation and Management
09:20 - 09:30
09:45 - 10:15
Overview of feeding/dysphagia with case studies
10:15 - 10:45
Communication strategies with case studies
10:45 - 11:15
Full multidisciplinary management review with case studies
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 3 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.3 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (3 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 6.5 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 3.5 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-891137
0.3 ASHA CEUs
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!