There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!:):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 7:00 AM Mountain; 6:00 AM Pacific)
Do you ever find that you are faced with treating individuals with Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, or ARFID, and you are unsure how to best treat them? Are you expected to treat older children or people with food phobias/anxiety and do not have the skills with which to best help them? Are you searching for better ways to achieve greater outcomes for your patients with anxiety around eating? We were not taught this in school, and many of us are in need of ways to better help our patients with this complex and challenging diagnosis. For years, Kelly Komisaruk has specialized in Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder and helping people specifically with this diagnosis. She will not only give you a solid understanding of what ARFID is (so you can explain it to caregivers!) but will also fill your therapy tool box with resources you need to be able to walk your patients through a journey to be able to eat successfully again. You will be able to troubleshoot, plan therapy sessions, and gain a better understanding of what your patients are going through while eating. You will leave this course feeling confident in your ability to take on your biggest feeding challenges like never before. You will also learn Kelly’s successful “Low Pressure Still Progressing” approach to ARFID treatment to guide you along your way!
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain what ARFID is and what it is NOT
- Utilize the "Low Pressure Still Progressing" approach to ARFID Treatment
- Recognize common pitfalls when treating individuals with ARFID and how to avoid them
- Understand how exposure therapy works and how to implement it into your therapy practice practically
- Explain how anxiety plays a role in food phobias
- Understand how other medical professionals play a role in feeding therapy and how to utilize them
- Recommend treatment options and therapy approaches to parents and caregivers
- Understand the importance of family support and parent buy-in
Kelly Komisaruk, M.Ed. CCC-SLP is a speech-language pathologist specializing in feeding difficulties located in Florida. After gaining her education at Central Michigan University and The University of Virginia, she moved to Florida to pursue her career. After years of honing her skills working with children, she took on the challenge of being one of the initial therapists at Nemours Children’s Hospital in 2012. Always having a love of feeding, she was a founding member of the Nemours Childrens Hospital Outpatient and Inpatient Intensive Multidisciplinary Feeding Team helping to design and implement both programs. Today, after helping hundreds of children learn to love food, she is proud to offer her services both virtually and in person to the Central Florida area and beyond! She opened up her practice in Lake Nona in 2020 and has grown to offer feeding services to children, teens, and adults. She is about to open up her intensive brick and mortar feeding clinic in 2022 where she plans to expand the services she offers to families nationwide. She has specific interest in helping people with anxiety around food, food phobias, and helping other clinicians learn how to help others enjoy eating!
Financial Disclosure: Kelly receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course.
Non-Financial Disclosure: None
08:00 - 08:30
08:30 - 08:45
08:45 - 09:15
What does ARFID look like? What is NOT AFRID?
09:15 - 10:00
Common pitfalls to avoid when working with individuals with ARFID
10:15 - 10:45
Anxiety and food phobias-what does it look like?
10:45 - 11:15
Understanding Exposure Therapy
11:15 - 11:45
Using the "Low Pressure Still Progressing" Approach to therapy
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 3.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.35 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (3.5 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 3.5 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 4 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-907999)
Course meets requirements for:
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
0.35 ASHA CEUs
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!