Current research will be reviewed to explore how the NMES parameters such as frequency, phase duration and duty cycle can be changed to maximize impact. Participants will learn about the benefit of using up to 4 channels of stimulation and will learn how to sequence the stimulation between channels to mimic a normal swallowing sequence. In addition, two new modalities will be reviewed and practiced: sEMG Biofeedback and sEMG triggered electrical stimulation.
Disclosure: This course offering will only cover information that pertains to the effective and safe use of VitalStim Plus.
NOTE: Participant must be a VitalStim Provider to attend this advanced level course.
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be obtained by completing the online ASHA form and checking the "Report to ASHA" box.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Verbalize the key neurophysiological and practical principles relevant to the use of VitalStim Therapy in the treatment of dysphagia
- Summarize the key findings of recent publications on the topic of NMES in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate appropriate selection and execution of NMES protocols with parameter settings that differ from the VitalStim protocol and verbalize their rationale
- Modifying the pulse frequency
- Modifying the phase duration
- Modifying the duty cycle (e.g., 4 seconds ON, 12 seconds OFF)
- Using up to 4 channels of stimulation
- Sequencing the stimulation between channels (for example, start stimulation on the oropharyngeal sling and follow with stimulation of the submandibular muscles)
- Describe the mechanism of action of sEMG Biofeedback in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate the correct execution of sEMG Biofeedback used for common neuromuscular impairments present in dysphagia
- Describe the mechanism of action of sEMG triggered stimulation in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate the correct execution of sEMG triggered stimulation used for common neuromuscular impairments present in dysphagia
- Demonstrate the replication of protocols described in key publications utilizing the VitalStim Plus technology
MS, PT, SCS, ATC
Jon received his Master of Science from Eastern Illinois University in 1992 and his Certificate of Physical Therapy from Ohio State in 1997. Jon currently holds an academic appointment as an Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN. He teaches courses in anatomy, pathology, orthopedics, and sports medicine. He continues to treat patients and conduct research at Campbell Clinic. He is pursuing a Ph.D. in educational research at the University of Memphis. Formerly the director of rehabilitation for Samaritan Regional Health System in Ashland, Ohio, Jon has also worked as the Director of Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Coordinator for Campbell Clinic in Memphis, TN. Jon is currently a Certified Instructor for the VitalStim® Certification Course teaching NMES for the treatment of dysphagia. Jon’s professional appointments include Team Physical Therapist and Rehab Consultant for several semi-professional and professional sports teams. He is an NATABOC certified Athletic Trainer and a member of the APTA, Ohio PT Association, and Tennessee Athletic Trainers Association.
Financial Disclosure: Jon receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. He also receives royalties for the purchase of his recorded course(s).
Non-financial Disclosure: There are no financial relationships to disclose.
Yorick received his Physical Therapy degree in the Netherlands and his DPT at the University of St. Augustine, Florida. He has extensive training and practical experience in biophysical agents and teaches nationally and internationally to medical professionals on their therapeutic use. Yorick has been instrumental in developing the use of electrical stimulation by Speech Language Pathologists in the treatment of dysphagia. Yorick currently lives in California and runs his private practice in Gilroy, CA.
Financial Disclosure: Yorick receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of his live course(s) and royalties for the sale of his recorded course(s). Yorick is the author and an instructor for the VitalStim Therapy Specialty Program.
Non-Financial Disclosure: no relevant relationships exist
NMES core concepts
Review of the literature – What do we know?
sEMG biofeedback – lecture & lab
sEMG triggered stimulation – lecture & lab
Advanced NMES application – lecture & lab
VitalStim Plus Software
- Online - This course is offered in an online, on demand format.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 5.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.55 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for AOTA #4119 (0.55 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (5.5 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 5.5 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 6.5 Hrs OTs in FL (CE Broker #20-991390)
Course meets requirements for:
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
0.55 ASHA CEUs
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!