TWO WAYS TO ATTEND:
- Attend as part of the LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- Attend via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world. Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer.
- This live event is streamed in real time.
- Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
- Registrants who attend the live broadcast will be able to interact with instructor.
- All registrants will have access to the broadcast recording for 14 days.
- A group may view the course together, however each attendee must be individually registered in order to receive CE credit.
- SLPs - this course is registered with ASHA as Blended Learning. ASHA CEUs may be earned by attending live, viewing the recording, or a combination of both.
- OT/PTs - Participants who need live hours for state license renewal must attend in real time yet, will still have access to the recording for 14 days.
- Attend/view entire course
- Pass multiple choice quiz (80% min score)
- Complete online course evaluation
Your patient complains of double vision, and dizziness. The chart says your patient is "legally blind". Your patient is having problems reading. These are common issues for adult patients of the rehab therapist, but the root causes of these issues are frequently misunderstood, so interventions are not effective. Therapists are presented the functional problems of visual dysfunction every day. Many therapists do not recognize these complaints as visual issues due to a lack of understanding of the changes that may occur in the adult visual system.
This course will help therapists recognize how naturally occurring changes in the visual system affect function. They will learn the questions to ask when your patient tells you they had cataract surgery, or they see double. Attendees will know the visual issues that can cause falls or reading problems and how to assess and improve the visual system so their patient can continue the activities they love. Attendees will learn to assess the adult visual system and develop activities to improve the most common visual complaints. They will even understand glasses better and be able to help their patient pick the eye care professional to best manage their visual complaints. This course will make you into a vision-aware therapist so you can recognize visual dysfunction better and provide interventions that get results where others have not.
Suggested items to have on hand for the best course experience:
- A Brock String- This is a string, about 24-30 inches long, with 3 or 4 beads. This is used throughout the courses an intervention activity. They can also be found on Amazon by searching for brock string.
- A craft/popsicle stick- This will be used during the assessment process as a fixation stick. There are few choices available on Amazon as well found by searching for fixation stick.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss current research supporting the role of vision in function and falls in the adult population
- Recognize the need for up-to-date eye exams and the best doctors to provide those examinations
- Recall the basic anatomy and physiology of the visual system
- Describe the changes in the visual system that may occur with age
- Assess the adult visual system and document appropriately
- Develop a treatment plan to improve visual skills
- Recognize common visual diagnosis found in the adult patient
- Differentiate between neglect and visual field cuts in neurological patients
Robert Constantine, OTR\L is a 1997 graduate of University of Alabama at Birmingham Occupational Therapy program where he was awarded the Charles Brooks Award for Creativity. He has practiced in home health, and skilled nursing contexts and spent 9 years as the clinical specialist in brain injury at the West Florida Rehabilitation Institute where he developed a passion for evidenced-based treatment, sharing information and the functional effects of the visual system. Beginning in 2013, he enjoyed a 3 year tenure at an optometry practice where he learned techniques working closely with low vision, pediatric and adult optometrists. He has received Clinical Level 1 and 2 training offered by the Neuro-Optometric Rehab Association. He was also instructed in sports vision training working with the High Performance Vision Associates, a national group of optometrists that offer sports vision screenings to elite athletes. He developed specialized Drag Racing Glasses and has worked with NHRA Sportsman and Professional Drag Racers. He continues to provide vision rehabilitation services to pediatric and adult patients at the Pearl Nelson Center and Kindred at Home in Pensacola, Florida. Robert has been a national and international presenter for since 2016. His courses are engaging and full of personal experience and the latest evidence-based research.
Financial Disclosure: Rob receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. Non-Financial Disclosure: None
08:00 - 08:15
Introduction and welcome
08:15 - 08:35
Vision affecting function in the adult patients
08:35 - 08:55
Who do I refer this patient to?
08:55 - 09:30
Anatomy of the Visual System
09:30 - 09:45
Refractive Status and Lenses
10:00 - 10:30
Common Degenerative Vision Conditions
10:30 - 11:00
Neurological Pathologies of the Visual System
11:00 - 12:00
Assessing the adult visual system
12:30 - 02:00
Treatment Techniques for the Visual System
02:15 - 02:25
Driving and Vision
02:25 - 02:35
02:35 - 03:00
Visual Perception Testing
03:00 - 03:15
Tools of Vision rehabilitation
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL. Included with each Live Stream registration is access to the course recording for the 14 days immediately following the broadcast.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.6 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2502009#TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- CIAO is a PT Approved Provider #BAP202310092 for the Oklahoma Medical Board. All PT courses for the 2022-2023 reporting period are approved.
- Approved for:
- 6 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, OK(#BAP202310092), TX (APTA TX #2502009 for 6 CCUs)
- 7 Hrs. OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-1001592)
- 7.2 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 6 Hrs. Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 6 Hrs. Registered with CEBroker for PT/PTAs in AZ, GA, OK, SC, TN
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL,AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT,
PT/PTAs in NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
0.6 ASHA CEUs
"Very thought provoking webinar, thank you!"
- Live Streaming or Studio Audience, FL / May 2023
"Great course! Very valuable. Lots of content and practical intervention strategies to use in practice. Thank you so much!"
- Live Streaming or Studio Audience, FL / May 2023