TWO WAYS TO ATTEND:
- Attend as part of the LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- Attend via LIVE STREAM from anywhere around the world. Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer.
- This live event is streamed in real time.
- Course agenda is in Central time, please adjust for your time zone
- Registrants who attend the live broadcast will be able to interact with instructor.
- All registrants will have access to the broadcast recording for 14 days.
- A group may view the course together, however each attendee must be individually registered in order to receive CE credit.
- SLPs - this course is registered with ASHA as Blended Learning. ASHA CEUs may be earned by attending live, viewing the recording, or a combination of both.
- OT/PTs - Participants who need live hours for state license renewal must attend in real time yet, will still have access to the recording for 14 days.
- Attend/view entire course
- Pass multiple choice quiz (80% min score)
- Complete online course evaluation
Poor reading, poor handwriting, clumsiness…it all ends in a referral for the school-based therapist. But is it sensory? Behavior? ADHD? Dyslexia? Something else?? This course will teach the school-based therapist to recognize the signs of a vision-based learning problem, then assess the visual system to uncover the root cause of academic difficulty. The therapist will learn the best standardized assessments to capture the visual dysfunction and simple, inexpensive techniques to improve ocular motor skills to improve academic performance.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe 3 behaviors observed in school setting that indicate a visual issue.
- Recall the anatomy of the visual system from the eye through the cortex
- Demonstrate appropriate technique for assessment and documentation of ocular motor skills
- Describe the near vision focusing system
- Select and utilize the appropriate objective assessment for the visual system
- Demonstrate the ability to tell the refractive status of a student by looking at their glasses
- Demonstrate improved awareness of ocular motor interventions
- Demonstrate techniques to improve letter reversals
- Recall the most common visual diagnoses and their functional implications
- Recognize signs of dyslexia and assessment techniques that can direct intervention to help with reading
Robert Constantine, OTR\L is a 1997 graduate of University of Alabama at Birmingham Occupational Therapy program where he was awarded the Charles Brooks Award for Creativity. He has practiced in home health, and skilled nursing contexts and spent 9 years as the clinical specialist in brain injury at the West Florida Rehabilitation Institute where he developed a passion for evidenced-based treatment, sharing information and the functional effects of the visual system. Beginning in 2013, he enjoyed a 3 year tenure at an optometry practice where he learned techniques working closely with low vision, pediatric and adult optometrists. He has received Clinical Level 1 and 2 training offered by the Neuro-Optometric Rehab Association. He was also instructed in sports vision training working with the High Performance Vision Associates, a national group of optometrists that offer sports vision screenings to elite athletes. He developed specialized Drag Racing Glasses and has worked with NHRA Sportsman and Professional Drag Racers. He continues to provide vision rehabilitation services to pediatric and adult patients at the Pearl Nelson Center and Kindred at Home in Pensacola, Florida. Robert has been a national and international presenter for since 2016. His courses are engaging and full of personal experience and the latest evidence-based research.
Financial Disclosure: Rob receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. Non-Financial Disclosure: None
08:00 - 08:15
08:15 - 08:30
Visual Dysfunction causes academic problems…the evidence
08:30 - 09:10
Understanding Eye Exams, Eye Doctors and Glasses
09:10 - 09:40
Anatomy of the Visual System
09:40 - 10:00
The “Where” of Vision
10:15 - 11:00
Assessing the visual system
11:00 - 11:30
Standardized Assessments of Vision
11:30 - 12:00
What is dyslexia?
12:30 - 12:55
Understanding Common Vision Diagnosis
12:55 - 01:15
Visual problems of Common Pediatric Diagnosis
01:15 - 02:15
Improving Visual Skills to Improve Performance
02:30 - 03:00
Treating Visual perception deficits
03:00 - 03:15
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL. Included with each Live Stream registration is access to the course recording for the 14 days immediately following the broadcast.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.6 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2502009#TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- CIAO is a PT Approved Provider #BAP202310092 for the Oklahoma Medical Board. All PT courses for the 2022-2023 reporting period are approved.
- Approved for:
- 6 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, OK(#BAP202310092), TX (APTA TX #2502009 for 6 CCUs)
- 7 Hrs. OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-1001600)
- 7.2 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 6 Hrs. Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN
- 6 Hrs. Registered with CEBroker for PT/PTAs in AZ, GA, OK, SC, TN
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL,AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT,
PT/PTAs in NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, IN, KS, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT,
OT/COTAs in NE, NV, NH, NJ,, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WY
0.6 ASHA CEUs
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!