There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
- as part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course time: 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 6:00 AM Pacific)
Numerous treatment strategies for working with individuals with Autism have evolved over the years leaving clinicians and teachers feeling overwhelmed. This intermediate level course for SLPs, OTs, and teachers presents a framework for designing an eclectic program to work with individuals with Autism. Emphasis on structure takes a front row seat in the design of your programs and classroom. As clinicians or teachers, our working understanding of Autism becomes the foundation of our decision making process in both designing curriculum and structure. The more we understand the individuals we serve with Autism, the better the outcomes for our patients. This course is offered in either a 1 or 2-day format. Topics covered include: PECS, Incidental Teaching, Visual Cueing Systems, Language, Social Skills, Circle and Snack Time Instructions, Structuring the Environment, Work Systems, Behavior Management, Discrete Trials and more. This course shows professionals ways to include numerous therapeutic techniques into the daily routine and the effectiveness of using an eclectic program in the treatment of individuals with Autism. >< Due to labs this course is limited to 50 registrants.
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end
AOTA Classification Codes:
Domain of OT: Context and Environmen
Domain of OT: Performance Patterns
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Name the various treatments utilized today with individuals with Autism.
- Discuss how to use communication temptations.
- Compare and contrast language development with typically developing and preschoolers with Autism.
- List strategies to teach social skills.
- List the various types of circle time domains.
- Discuss the most effective way to implement the Picture Exchange Communication System.
- Implement independent work stations for varying levels of children.
- Effectively implement discrete trials step by step and how to generalize them to the “natural environment.”
- Effectively choose reinforcers.
- Utilize systematic prompting and shaping.
- Make the classroom more predictable, organized and allow the student to function with as much independence as possible.
M.S. CCC-SLP, NDC
Jodie graduated from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL with a Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders. She has been a practicing speech language pathologist since 1995 with extensive experience in the private sector, school settings and clinical experience in hospital settings which include long term care and outpatient rehab. Jodie became a VitalStim® Provider in 2005. Since then she has utilized this modality in the treatment of dysphagia with both her pediatric and adult patients. Jodie is also a licensed NOMAS® practitioner and certified in NDC (NMES for Dysphagia), MDTP (McNeil Dysphagia Therapy Program) and Myofascial Release. She has presented locally and nationally on various topics such as Best Practices, The Benefits of Oral Motor/Feeding Therapy on Articulation/Speech Clarity amongst others. Currently, Jodie serves the Speech Language Pathology profession as a therapist at Val Verde Regional Hospital in TX and as a certified instructor of the VitalStim® Therapy and DINES Specialty Certificate Program for CIAO Seminars.
Financial Disclosure: Jodie receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s)
Non-Financial Disclosure: Jodie uses VitalStim Therapy in her practice.
07:30 - 08:00
08:00 - 08:05
08:05 - 08:30
Autism Learning Styles and Characteristics
08:30 - 09:15
Language development of Typical versus Autism, Communication Temptations, Activities
09:15 - 10:00
Systematic Instruction, Reinforcers, Structuring the Environment
10:15 - 12:00
Systematic Instruction, Reinforcers, Structuring the Environment, cont’d
12:30 - 01:45
01:45 - 02:30
Social Skills and Pragmatic Therapeutic Activities
- Live By Request - This course is available to come to you! Contact us to see how easy that can be.
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6 hrs.
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.6 ASHA CEUs)
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.6 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2202009#TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- Approved for:
- 7.2 Hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 7.0 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #20-767414)
- 7.0 Hours PT/PTAs in FL (FPTA #CE20-767414)
- 6.0 Hrs. PT/PTAs in IL, TX (6 CCUs)
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!