Many end of life treatment decisions for loved ones can be very overwhelming and difficult. It is up to the team to educate and help patients and their families with this process. This course will discuss specifically the role of the Speech Language Pathologist, look at ethical issues, dilemmas surrounding artificial nutrition and hydration (ANH), compare what happens to the body when ANH is administered during the final states of disease versus the body naturally terminating without the administration of ANH, review other considerations including insurance and look at the role of hospice and how they view ANH during end stages.
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be obtained by completing the online ASHA form and checking the "Report to ASHA" box.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- State what the role of the SLP is during the end stages of disease.
- Discuss statistics of survival after placement of ANH.
- Determine the difference of anabolic versus catabolic states of metabolism.
- Describe the effects of ANH versus what occurs naturally when patient is not given ANH during the dying process.
M.S. CCC-SLP, NDC
Jodie graduated from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL with a Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders. She has been a practicing speech language pathologist since 1995 with extensive experience in the private sector, school settings and clinical experience in hospital settings which include long term care and outpatient rehab. Jodie became a VitalStim® Provider in 2005. Since then she has utilized this modality in the treatment of dysphagia with both her pediatric and adult patients. Jodie is also a licensed NOMAS® practitioner and certified in NDC (NMES for Dysphagia), MDTP (McNeil Dysphagia Therapy Program) and Myofascial Release. She has presented locally and nationally on various topics such as Best Practices, The Benefits of Oral Motor/Feeding Therapy on Articulation/Speech Clarity amongst others. Currently, Jodie serves the Speech Language Pathology profession as a therapist at Val Verde Regional Hospital in TX and as a certified instructor of the VitalStim® Therapy and DINES Specialty Certificate Program for CIAO Seminars.
Financial Disclosure: Jodie receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s)
Non-Financial Disclosure: Jodie uses VitalStim Therapy in her practice.
Introduction and Objectives
Shared Decision Making and Legal Concerns
Case Study Continued
- Online - This course is offered in an online on demand format.
- Club CIAO - This online course is also available as part of our all-you-can-eat buffet of online courses – available at one low price.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.1 CEUs (1 hour)
- This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer .1 CEUs for this program
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
"I really enjoyed listening to this presenter. I appreciated that she closely followed the PowerPoint and then provided additional relevant information as she went through. "
- Edgewater, FL / Sep 2017
- Tampa, FL / Nov 2013