Every discipline is touched by patients with dementia. This video education course delivers essential information to help all disciplines identify appropriate candidates, stage the patient, write proper goals and deliver evidence-based interventions for successful goal outcomes. This course material has become increasingly relevant and necessary for OT/COTAs, PT/PTAs, SLP/SLPAs and nurses in today's healthcare environment. The instructor has designed the course to give the clinician the tools to build on existing skills and provide a framework for success across all therapy disciplines.
AOTA Classification Codes
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be obtained by completing the online ASHA form and checking the "Report to ASHA" box.
OT Process: Evaluation, Intervention
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Summarize the various types and causes of dementia.
- Give examples of screening and evaluation tools across disciplines to identify appropriate dementia therapy candidates.
- Discuss how to ‘stage’ a patient with dementia and understand use of ‘spared capabilities’ to achieve goals.
- Develop long and short term goals for four primary deficits: mobility (falls), communication, socialization and behaviors.
- Design evidence-based interventions and strategies for successful outcomes.
Peggy Watson M.S., CCC-SLP is a practicing speech pathologist with more than
20 years of experience working with the geriatric population, and currently works for Select Rehabilitation Hospital, Denton, Texas. Ms. Watson specializes in non-pharmacological dementia behavior management using evidence-based interventions, including the areas of Validation, Reminisce, Spaced Retrieval, Sensory and Montessori. Watson shares her vast knowledge through a compelling presentation complete with personal experiences and videos. She and her colleague, Nancy Shadowens, developed this dementia program and the course has been successful on all levels of expectation for all settings including inpatient and outpatient.
Watson has co-authored two books, one for therapists, providing a step-by-step guide to achieve successful outcomes, Dementia Therapy & Program Development; and one for caregivers, Dementia Loving Care with a Therapeutic Benefit. Ms. Watson has presented this dementia program nationally and internationally, and for state and national conventions. Ms. Watson is a member of the Texas Speech-Language-Hearing Association and the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association, and licensed as a speech-language pathologist in Texas and Colorado. She is co-owner of Consultants in Dementia Therapy PLLC, a company founded to be a resource for therapists who have the responsibility to help people with dementia achieve their highest level of function.
Financial Disclosure: Peggy Watson is a co-owner of Consultants in Dementia Therapy and currently is employed by Select Rehabilitation Hospital. She receives royalties from CIAO for the sale of this course. Peggy also benefits financially from the sale of her book, “Dementia Therapy & Program Development”, on which this presentation is based.
Non-financial Disclosure: There are no relevant non-financial relationships
Types and Causes of Dementia
Screening and evaluation tools across disciplines
Staging a patient and use of ‘spared capabilities’
Documenting: mobility (falls), communication, socialization and behaviors.
Evidence-based interventions and strategies
- Online - This course is offered in an online on demand format.
- Club CIAO - This online course is also available as part of our all-you-can-eat buffet of online courses – available at one low price.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 2.0 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.2 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.2 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (2 PDUs)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.2 CEUs for this program
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2202009#TX
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products,
- or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- Approved for:
- 2.0 Hours PT/PTAs in AR, IL, NM, NY, OK(201910691), TX (2 CCUs)
- 2.0 Hours OT/COTAs in FL(CE Broker #20-510772)
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC,
ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA(type 1), WA, WI, WY
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
"good refresher of stages and types of dementia"
- Auburn, AL / Dec 2017
"Great course with lots of applicable information"
- Brooksville, FL / Dec 2017
"This is a great course. Strongly agree with the course content. Highly capable instructor has chosen good material that will be great to share with others in facility to assist other departments in understanding dementia."
- Cantonment, FL / Dec 2017
"Wow great presentation!!"
- Bad Axe, MI / Sep 2017
"THANK YOU. WELL PRESENTED. VERY MOVING VIDEO. NICE OVERVIEW OF QUICK AND STANDRADIZED EVALUATION MATERIALS"
- lake placid, FL / Jan 2017
This course gave me some wonderful insight and information related the my career in speech-language pathology."
- Coldwater, MI / Aug 2016