Children with autism who are nonverbal can be a challenge to work with. From aggressive behaviors to slow or no progress, clinicians and parents may face many obstacles. Melodic Based Communication Therapy (M.B.C.T.) has been shown to be a successful method for improving social skills, imitation, and verbal expression in this population. Participants will explore the impact of melody and rhythm on the human brain, review the history of the use of melody for the nonverbal population with autism as well as the current evidence to support its use, actively participate in and master the 10 steps to successfully using M.B.C.T. to elicit verbal communication, and discuss modifications to the program in order to use it effectively in any clinical or home setting. Be ready to implement strategies learned in this course the very next day.
Disclosure: This course will focus exclusively on the Melodic Based Communication Therapy (M.B.C.T.) technique and will not include information on other similar or related therapy techniques.
Become an M.B.C.T. Approved Provider and join a registry of professionals proficient and qualified in this technique by registering for the M.B.C.T. Approved Provider Exam online.
AOTA Classification Codes
- Computer with internet and working speakers/sound are required for this course.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- SLPs - ASHA CEUs may be requested by completing the online ASHA form and checking "YES" to the "Report to ASHA" question.
Domain of OT: Areas of Occupation, Client Factors
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss current literature on the neurology of individuals with autism spectrum disorder.
- Evaluate the success of melodic-based interventions for improving speech, language, and social skills in individuals with autism spectrum disorder across time.
- Determine the appropriate uses of melodic-based interventions for different clients.
- Demonstrate the techniques/steps needed to implement Melodic Based Communication Therapy.
- Explain how to modify Melodic Based Communication Therapy for group sessions.
- Explore other methods for using melody to teach language concepts to children with language delays.
G. A. Sandiford, Ph.D., CCC/SLP, is a licensed speech–language pathologist with over ten years of experience working with individuals with autism and other speech/language disorders. Dr. Sandiford has served as a speech–language pathologist in public schools, alternative schools, outpatient clinics, home health, private practice, and various other settings. She has also served as a peer reviewer for the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. She is the developer of Melodic Based Communication Therapy (MBCT), which was the subject of her dissertation research. Her research on Melodic Based Communication Therapy was the recipient of the LLU School of Allied Health Professions 2013 Outstanding Doctoral Research Award and has been published in and cited by multiple publications in peer–reviewed journals. She has presented on this topic nationwide. She is the CEO of her own company MeloComm Speech and Language Therapy. She enjoys reading, writing, researching, teaching, and working with children with autism.
Financial Disclosures: Dr. Sandiford is the creator and holds the copyright on supplemental IOS therapy apps for M.B.C.T. She is also the CEO of her own company MeloComm Speech and Language Therapy. She receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of her live courses. She also receives royalties for the purchase of her recorded course(s).
Non-Financial Disclosure: there are no relevant disclosures
Understanding Brain Development
Autism, the brain, and music: Understanding the impact of melody on the brain
Autism and Melodic Based Intervention
The Reinforcement Schedule
Training Segment (M.B.C.T. Formal Steps 1-10)
M.B.C.T. Session Videos
- Online - This course is offered in an online, on demand format.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6.5 Hour
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.65 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.65 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6.5 PDUs)
- As an IACET Authorized Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.65 CEUs for this program
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.65 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional Area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
"Thank you! This was amazing!"
- Sasn Antonio, TX / Sep 2021
"The course presenter was informative, engaging and the repetition of information in the Kahoot format was reinforcing as a group activity."
- Naples, FL / Aug 2021
"I thoroughly enjoyed this class and can’t wait to utilize the skills."
- Hoover, AL / Aug 2021
"This presenter was wonderful and entertaining! Loved her way of teaching!"
- Crosby, TX / Jul 2021
"I appreciated this course tremendously as I prepare to conduct my research. It helped go in more depth than what I had read in Dr. Sandiford's article and dissertation. I liked having the opportunity to go at my own pace with this course, though I would have also enjoyed a live session (in person or through some format like Zoom) so that I could ask my own questions and be more engaged. Overall I am very grateful for this course and the video demonstrations. "
- Ventura, CA / Jun 2021
"Fantastic course and information provided. I will recommend this course to other profession related clinicians and families."
- Stoneville, NC / Feb 2021
"Great course!! Fun and very informative. I am looking forward to using this method with my students."
- Metairie, LA / Dec 2020
"This course was really good! My only suggestion would be to cut down some of the Kahoot footage since online participants cannot participate in an activity only meant for livestream"
- Junction City, KS / Oct 2020
"I enjoyed Dr Sandiford very much. Thank you for offering the course!"
- Augusta, GA / Jan 2020