There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE CEUs!):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course begins: 9:00 AM Central (10:00 AM Eastern; 8:00 AM Mountain; 7:00 AM Pacific)
Please contact our office if you have any questions. 850-916-8886.
Therapeutic weighted belts benefit children diagnosed with Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Angelman syndrome, Apraxia, Asperger's syndrome (AS), Ataxia, Cerebral Palsy, Down syndrome, Dyslexia, Fetal Alcohol syndrome (FAS), Hypotonia, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD-NOS), Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS), Rett syndrome, Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), and Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). This course will use research, surveys and clinical experience to outline how a weighted belt can:
- Increase body awareness
- Improve balance and coordination
- Increase focus and concentration
- Enhance comprehension and learning
- Reduce hyperactivity
- Maximize therapy outcomes
- Increase therapeutic carryover
AOTA Classification Codes
Domain of OT: Activity Demands, Performance Skills
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- summarize clinical research and testing used in development of the sensory belt applications
- outline concepts and techniques for using the sensory belt in the clinical setting
- describe weighted belt therapeutic application to assist children with sensory processing disorders for various diagnosis
Matt Bruback is the creator and inventor of the Sensory Belt, a therapeutic weighted belt designed to enhance proprioceptive feedback around the waist. He has had twelve years (12) of clinical experience working with Occupational, Physical and Speech therapists. Matt is a former professional baseball player whose childhood speech and sensory issues led him to create the Sensory Belt after an injury he sustained while playing. Matt played baseball professionally for nine (9) years with the Chicago Cubs, Pittsburg Pirates, San Diego Padres, and Baltimore Orioles. He ended his career in 2006 to help children with developmental disabilities caused by sensory disorders. Since that time he has worked with the Florida Occupational Therapy Association (FOTA) and other state associations to help over 15,000 children and adults.
Financial Disclosure: Mr. Bruback receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of his live courses and royalties for the purchase of his online courses. He receives financial compensation as the creator and inventor of the Sensory Belt.
Non-Financial Disclosure: there are no relevant disclosures
09:00 - 10:00
History of the Sensory Belt and Transition into a Therapy Aid
10:00 - 11:00
History of Proprioceptive Devices in Relation to the Sensory Belt
11:15 - 12:15
Sensory Belt Research, Survey, and Child Safety Testing Discussed
12:15 - 01:00
Therapeutic Benefits and Use of the Sensory Belt Explained
01:00 - 01:15
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 0.4 CEUs (4.0 Hrs.)
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (SLPs)
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (OT/COTAs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (4.0 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the TX Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov. #2202009#TX
- This activity meets the continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- Approved for:
- 4.0 hrs. PT/PTAs in AR, IL, OK(201913357), TX(4.0 CCUs)
- 4.8 hrs. PT/PTAs in NY
- 4.5 hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE#20-651431)
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AK, AL, AZ, AR, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY, ME, MO, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NC, NH, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
This course is offered for 0.4 ASHA CEUs (introductory level, Professional area).
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!