There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
Course begins: 9:00 AM Central (10:00 AM Eastern; 8:00 AM Mountain; 7:00 AM Pacific)
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Please contact our office if you have any questions. 850-916-8886.
Exercise is the key ingredient to rehabilitation and dysphagia rehabilitation is no different. The skilled clinician must have a variety of treatment tools available to facilitate an effective exercise program. Ten years ago, VitalStim Therapy introduced NMES as such a tool and it has proven very effective. This course will take the VitalStim Provider to a new level using NMES for dysphagia therapy. The course will review the core concepts underpinning successful use of NMES in the dysphagic patient. Current research will be reviewed to explore how the NMES parameters such as frequency, phase duration and duty cycle can be changed to maximize impact. Participants will learn about the benefit of using up to 4 channels of stimulation and will learn how to sequence the stimulation between channels to mimic a normal swallowing sequence. In addition, two new modalities will be reviewed and practiced: sEMG Biofeedback and sEMG triggered electrical stimulation. This dynamic course will focus on hands on skills. The participants will work with the latest technology combining VitalStim, NMES, sEMG and sEMG triggered stimulation.
Disclosure: This course covers information that pertains to the effective and safe use of VitalStim Plus equipment. Participant must be a VitalStim Therapy Provider prior to attending this advanced level course.
Looking for a VitalStim Renewal course?
AOTA Classification Codes
Domain of OT: Client Factors, Context Environment
OT Process: Intervention
Vital Stim, VitalStim, Vital Stem, VitalStim Certification, Vitastim, NMES for Dysphagia, ESwallow, Guardian, Tim Carrigan
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Verbalize the key neurophysiological and practical principles relevant to the use of VitalStim Therapy in the treatment of dysphagia
- Summarize the key findings of recent publications on the topic of NMES in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate appropriate selection and execution of NMES protocols with parameter settings that differ from the VitalStim protocol and verbalize their rationale
- Modifying the pulse frequency
- Modifying the phase duration
- Modifying the duty cycle (e.g., 4 seconds ON, 12 seconds OFF)
- Using up to 4 channels of stimulation
- Sequencing the stimulation between channels (for example, start stimulation on the oropharyngeal sling and follow with stimulation of the submandibular muscles)
- Describe the mechanism of action of sEMG Biofeedback in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate the correct execution of sEMG Biofeedback used for common neuromuscular impairments present in dysphagia
- Describe the mechanism of action of sEMG triggered stimulation in the treatment of dysphagia
- Demonstrate the correct execution of sEMG triggered stimulation used for common neuromuscular impairments present in dysphagia
- Demonstrate the replication of protocols described in key publications utilizing the VitalStim Plus technology
MS, PT, SCS, ATC
Jon received his Master of Science from Eastern Illinois University in 1992 and his Certificate of Physical Therapy from Ohio State in 1997. Jon currently holds an academic appointment as an Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN. He teaches courses in anatomy, pathology, orthopedics, and sports medicine. He continues to treat patients and conduct research at Campbell Clinic. He is pursuing a Ph.D. in educational research at the University of Memphis. Formerly the director of rehabilitation for Samaritan Regional Health System in Ashland, Ohio, Jon has also worked as the Director of Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Coordinator for Campbell Clinic in Memphis, TN. Jon is currently a Certified Instructor for the VitalStim® Certification Course teaching NMES for the treatment of dysphagia. Jon’s professional appointments include Team Physical Therapist and Rehab Consultant for several semi-professional and professional sports teams. He is an NATABOC certified Athletic Trainer and a member of the APTA, Ohio PT Association, and Tennessee Athletic Trainers Association.
Financial Disclosure: Jon receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of this course. He also receives royalties for the purchase of his recorded course(s).
Non-financial Disclosure: There are no financial relationships to disclose.
09:00 - 04:15
Live Stream 9:00 AM Central (10:00 Eastern; 8:00 AM Mountain; 7:00 Pacific)
09:00 - 09:15
09:15 - 10:15
NMES core concepts
10:15 - 11:00
Review of the literature – What do we know?
11:15 - 01:00
sEMG biofeedback – lecture & lab
01:30 - 02:30
sEMG triggered stimulation – lecture & lab
02:30 - 03:30
Advanced NMES application – lecture & lab
- Live On Tour - This course is now being offered live on locations throughout the United States.
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 6 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.6 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for AOTA #4119 (0.6 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (6.0 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- Approved for:
- 7.0 Hrs OTs in FL (CE Broker #20-550157)
- 7.0 Hours Registered with CEBroker for OT/COTAs in AL, AZ, GA, LA, MS, SC, TN and PT/PTAs in GA
0.6 ASHA CEUs
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!