The updates in the 2019 VitalStim® Therapy and Beyond: DINES (Dynamic Integration of NMES and Exercise for Swallowing) Specialty Certificate Program are now included in this course!
This course is designed to renew competency for NMES Therapy Providers. Participants will receive up-to-date key concepts in research, safety and protocols during the course. Participants who successfully complete this course will be equipped with the required knowledge and skills to maximize the impact of the use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) in the treatment of dysphagia. This renewal course will review topics such as muscle physiology, kinesiology of the swallowing mechanism and pathological swallowing mechanisms and processes. The basic principles and concepts of neuromuscular electrical stimulation as used in the treatment of dysphagia will be reviewed, as will the various NMES protocols described in the literature.
- Registrants must be VitalStim Providers.
- ANY VitalStim Provider can renew at ANY time, no matter when you became a Provider.
- Completion of this renewal course will award the VitalStim Therapy Specialty Certificate and list the VitalStim Provider on the VitalStim Registry for 3 years.
- Online renewal may be completed by Adult and/or Pediatric Providers
ONLINE Renewal Specifics:
- Computer with internet connection and audio are required.
- Course must be completed within 30 days of activation (activate course within 6 months of purchase).
- A PDF version of the updated VitalStim/DINES manual is available to print.
- An online multiple-choice quiz (80% passing score) and submission of an online evaluation form are required for successful completion.
- ASHA CEUs may be requested by completing the online ASHA form and checking "YES" to the "Report to ASHA" question.
- A certificate of completion will be available to print immediately after course is successfully completed.
- The Specialty Certificate will be mailed to your home address. Please be sure to update your contact information, mailing address and facility information
Rather Attend In Person?
Go to any LIVE VitalStim® Therapy and Beyond: DINES Specialty Certificate Program. Select Renewal (no MBS required) price during registration.
Click Here for Adult Focus LIVE Renewal
Click Here for Pediatric Focus LIVE Renewal
Vitalstim recertification vital stim
Click for VitalStim Therapy Specialty Certificate Program Press Release
AOTA Classification Codes
Domain of OT: Performance Skills
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Accurately name the anatomical structures (muscular, articular, neurological) relevant to the swallowing function
- Correctly and accurately palpate the structures mentioned under objective 1 that are accessible to palpation
- Briefly describe the various phases of the normal swallowing movement
- List the main pathological conditions affecting swallow function in the adult population (etiology, pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, severity of impact on swallowing, prognosis, social and economic impact)
- Describe considerations in the use of NMES in the pediatric population
- Describe the characteristics of electrical stimulation and the influence of electricity on muscle tissue (physiological versus evoked contraction, frequency of current, intensity, phase duration, treatment time, strength and endurance building, etc.)
- Identify the pathological conditions for which electrical stimulation is indicated
- Describe the characteristics of the NMES stimulation unit
- Describe, differentiate and demonstrate the execution of common NMES treatment protocols described in the peer-reviewed literature
- Discuss the use of swallowing exercise during and after the use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Briefly describe the principles of evidence based medicine and their application to the use of NMES in the treatment of dysphagia
- Discuss ethical considerations around the use of NMES in the treatment of dysphagia
Yorick received his Physical Therapy degree in the Netherlands and his DPT at the University of St. Augustine, Florida. He has extensive training and practical experience in biophysical agents and teaches nationally and internationally to medical professionals on their therapeutic use. Yorick has been instrumental in developing the use of electrical stimulation by Speech Language Pathologists in the treatment of dysphagia. Yorick currently lives in California and runs his private practice in Gilroy, CA.
Financial Disclosure: Yorick receives honoraria from CIAO Seminars for the presentation of his live course(s) and royalties for the sale of his recorded course(s). Yorick is the author and an instructor for the VitalStim Therapy Specialty Program.
Non-Financial Disclosure: no relevant relationships exist
Physiology of the Normal Swallow
Electrical Stimulation in the Treatment of Dysphagia
DINES Treatment Protocols
- Online - This course is offered in an online, on demand format.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 8.5 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.85 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.85 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (8.5 PDUs)
- As an IACET Accredited Provider, CIAO offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard
- CIAO is authorized by IACET to offer 0.85 CEUs for this program
CIAO is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). CIAO complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, CIAO is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This course is offered for 0.85 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area) ASHA Bubble Sheet
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
"Thank you, this was a great refresher! :) "
- Roswell, GA / Oct 2021
"A great review and loved hearing the updates since I last took the course."
- Easton, PA / Sep 2021
"Thank you for a detailed refresher course. It was very convenient to complete it in parts on my own time. "
- Texarkana, TX / Sep 2021
"Speakers were easy to listen to and explained information thoroughly."
- Wilmington, DE / Sep 2021
"This renewal course was really great. I felt the PT had a great way of making the physiology accessible to SLPs. The SLP presenter was very informed and great at building confidence about implementing Vital Stim in my dysphagia treatments"
- Hickory, NC / Sep 2021
"This was a really good update and review of NMES. I am really happy this is required every three years to keep me sharp!"
- Bruce Crossing, MI / Sep 2021
"I have shared with my administrators what I have learned in this course and am happy to say they understand the benefits of upgrading our units to the VitalStim Plus and will be putting at least one into our budget!!"
- Altamonte Springs, FL / Jul 2021
"I was pleased to see updates to NMES and to refresh what I learned two years ago. Thank you for doing this."
- Ft. Myers, FL / Jul 2021
"I am in the "original" group of SLPs who took the VitalStim training when it first came out. This update was wonderful and I appreciate this, on behalf of my practice and the patients I serve.
- Caribou, ME / Jul 2021
"Thank you for the support when calling you!"
- Makanda, IL / Jun 2021
"It was very helpful to see how the treatment protocols have evolved as well as the research to support this treatment modality."
- Senatobia, MS / Jun 2021
"Updated information provided in this course will be helpful in my practice. "
- Middletown, DE / Jun 2021
"I appreciated receiving a more in depth explanation of the billing side of NMES with this renewal course. My manager has asked our billing department several times about reimbursement for cost of materials (electrodes, etc.) but I have never received a clear answer on how to go about receiving reimbursement of materials. Glad to have an understanding on how one can go about receiving reimbursement for materials/equipment. I have a feeling my facility will also just use CPT code 92526 and not worry about using the G-code plus the ABN. Thank you for that clarification! "
- Heppner, OR / Jun 2021
"Good review after having gap in using NMES due to admin position."
- Windsor, CA / Apr 2021
"I like the online format of the renewal course because I can do it in stages."
- Henderson, NV / Apr 2021
"I thoroughly enjoyed this course as I did way back when I first got certified for VitalStim, not long after leaving a doctoral program where I used electrodes daily in a research setting. NMES is a tough topic for those who come without knowledge of how electrodes work and this course breaks it all down so well. Appreciate the great organization in the lessons."
- Watertown , SD / Apr 2021
"Excellent course, I’m very glad I decided to complete the renewal course. The updated research and review of placements was very helpful to understand how they target specific muscle groups."
- Bowling Green, OH / Mar 2021
"The renewal was much needed, as placements and research have been updated since the last time I took the course. "
- Miami, FL / Mar 2021
"I greatly appreciate being able to renew by certification online. "
- Lubbock, TX / Mar 2021
"I enjoyed being able to complete this course online, especially during COVID. It was very helpful information."
- Liberty Township, OH / Jan 2021
"Loved this re-certification course. Excellent presentation!"
- Ely, NV / Jan 2021
"This was the best of the certification and renewal courses I have taken. It seems that as we have progressed with this therapy; the methods for explaining and teaching have become better and better. Simpler and more graphic with examples. Thanks so much."
- Owensboro, KY / Dec 2020
"Great update and much improved from the last one. I really have increased my understanding of how everything works and use of the Vital Stim Plus. "
- Derry, NH / Nov 2020
"THank you for providing this online option for the course this year with COVID 19. I really appreciate giving us the choice for in person or online as a safety measure this year!
Well done as far as speakers and filming! I love VitalStim and have been able to help many patients since 2004 as a result of the great work you all do and the training you provide. Thank you! "
- Dallas, TX / Nov 2020
"Thank you for offering the course online "
- Bonham, TX / Oct 2020
"Great course. Improved from my last renewal. Thank you!"
- Walla Walla, WA / Sep 2020
"Good renewal course. I appreciated having 30 days to complete since I wasn't able to sit down and do it all at once!"
- Chattanooga, TN / Sep 2020
"This course was a great refresher. When I was first certified in 2017, the "Dines" portion was not part of the course. I went into the course excited to learn lots of new material to incorporate into my Vital Stim sessions. However, if I'm being completely honest, after completing the course I'm still not sure what the "Dines" addition is. I do feel more knowledgable in how to make NMES more comfortable for my patients by changing the different settings, but other than that I don't feel like I learned anything new. Everything in this course I'm already doing. Again, this course provided great reminders therefore I do see value in it. I love providing NMES to my patients and I definitely see the improvements they make!"
- Burleson, TX / Aug 2020
"Great presentation and speakers. Would have loved to attend the renewal course in person as planned if COVID-19 was not a factor. "
- Lawrenceville, GA / Jun 2020
"I am so thrilled to be able to do this course at my own pace. Thanks"
- Corpus Christi,, TX / May 2020
"The presenters provided clear explanations and training. I appreciated having the page numbers from the manual on the slides to help with correlation and note taking."
- ALBUQUERQUE, NM / May 2020
"It was helpful to have the larger view slides as in the Pediatric section...perhaps continue that theme throughout."
- Flora, IL / May 2020
"Enjoyed the way the pediatric case study was presented by OT/SLP.
Would have liked to seen a thorough case study presented in the same way.
- Nepean, ON / May 2020
"This course has been pivotal in my practice. The specificity, quality, and depth of the content shared in this course is exceptional. "
- El Paso, TX / May 2020
"Great course! Excellent!"
- Lakewood, OH / May 2020
"I truly appreciate the addition of the pediatric as well as ethic sections in this renewal course. "
- Madison, NJ / May 2020
"I really enjoyed the presenters. While I do miss the personal interaction from the live course, I really love taking the refresher course online so that I can listen to their explainations until I understand it or can write it down. This was a perfect set up!"
- Rochester Hills, MI / Apr 2020
"This was my favorite version of instruction for NMES to date."
- Mount Pleasant, MI / Apr 2020
"More support for pediatric population. This course always teaches me something new! Thank you for continuing to promote clinical growth."
- Castle Pines, CO / Apr 2020