There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE CE):
- in the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course begins: 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 7:00 AM Mountain; 6:00 AM Pacific)
Please contact our office if you have any questions. 850-916-8886.
Treating acquired speech and language disorders starts with a strong differential diagnosis evaluation. This course will guide the participant in recognizing the differences and then building a combination of treatment approaches to target the impairments. Participants will become familiar with tests including the Newcastle Dysarthria Assessment Tool, The Apraxia Speech Rating Scale, The Apraxia Battery for Adults Assessment, and Cognitive Test Battery for Global Aphasia. Evidence based treatment approaches will be discussed as well as some less researched clinical pathways. These techniques include Rhythm/rate control methods, and articulatory kinematic approaches The instructor will present case studies and guides on documentation. Therapists will leave with a well-rounded approach to acquired speech and language disorders to bring to the patients on Monday morning.
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recall basic knowledge of neuroanatomy related to strokes
- Review epidemiological risks factors that can cause CVAs
- Identify disorders related to post CVA sequela such as apraxia, dysarthria, global aphasia and dysphagia
- Classify and diagnose aphasia, apraxia, and dysarthria’s based on chart review and patient presentation, and standardized testing
- Compare current treatment methods efficacy as notes in the research
- Recognize and coexistence of multiple neuro speech/language disorders to provide an accurate differential diagnosis
- Predict outcomes based on severity and co-morbidities in order to decide the most appropriate treatment pathways
- Recommend and implement appropriate treatment strategies to achieve the predicted outcomes.
- Choose modifications during treatment to compensate for visual dysfunction
Lubna Nabulsi is a Speech-Language Pathologist that has been practicing in Skilled nursing rehabilitation for 20 years. She graduated with her Masters in Speech-Language Pathology from Towson University in Baltimore Maryland. Prior to becoming and SLP, Lubna was a Medical and Research Technologist working at University of Maryland Hospital Immunology Department. This created a unique knowledge of overall medical pathology and how it related to disease and disorders that affect swallowing. Lubna is currently the Senior SLP at Futurecare Health and Management. Lubna developed a successful inhouse FEES program at all Futurecare skilled nursing facilities., and in the past 10 years has trained over 20 SLP in FEES instrumentation and competency.
Financial Disclosure: Lubna receives honoraria from CIAO for the presentation of her live courses and royalties for the sale of her online courses.
Non-Financial Disclosure: There are no non-financial relationships to disclose.
08:00 - 09:00
Stroke Epidemiology, basic review of neuroanatomy and physiology
09:00 - 10:15
Review of apraxia, dysarthria, and global aphasia
10:30 - 12:00
Differential diagnosis of apraxia, dysarthria, and global aphasia
12:30 - 02:30
Clinical pathways, predictive outcomes and treatment methods
02:45 - 03:30
Discussion of new treatment methods and use of modalities
03:30 - 03:45
Case Study review
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 7 Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.7 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- ASHA CE Provider Approval and use of the Brand Block does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures.
0.7 ASHA CEUs
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!