There are two ways to participate in this live stream event (BOTH count as LIVE Continuing Education!):
- as part of the LIVE STUDIO audience in Gulf Breeze, Florida - Studio audience seats are limited - so register today!
- via LIVE STREAM around the world - Live stream participants will login to access the event from their computer and interact with the instructor.
Course time: 8:00 AM Central (9:00 AM Eastern; 6:00 AM Pacific)
Respiratory Muscle Strength Training is an important addition to our treatment program. Often our treatment programs do not include this modality. This course builds on our basic knowledge of respiration and its connection to speech and swallowing. However, respiration also ties into cardiovascular function and our immune system. These connections will be investigated. We will identify signs and symptoms occupational therapists, physical therapists and nurses should look for during interactions with their clients that would indicate the presence of respiratory muscle weakness. Various diseases and disorders contributing to respiratory muscle strength weakness including COVID-19 will be discussed as well as the use of respiratory muscle strength training in patient recovery and therapy programs. Inspiratory and Expiratory muscle strength training tools and their protocols will be discussed These will be presented with comparisons of similarities and differences. Studies relating to the efficacy of respiratory muscle strength training will be presented for numerous diseases, including COVid-19 throughout the course.
Course Level: Intermediate
Assessment Methods: Q&A, Self-Assessment on Evaluation
For events that are Live Streamed, the streaming participants will verify attendance through codes given throughout course and complete a multiple choice quiz (80% passing score) and evaluation at the end
AOTA Classification Codes:
Domain of OT: Areas of Occupation
Occupational Therapy Process: Intervention
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- discuss muscles and their function in inspiration and respiration
- educate other disciplines on signs and symptoms of respiratory muscle weakness to generate referrals
- identify specific disorders and diseases that would impact respiration including COVID-19
- determine the most appropriate tool for patients who need respiratory muscle strength training
- discuss efficacy of respiratory muscle strength training in three patient populations
09:00 - 10:00
Overview of Respiration and connection to cardiovascular health and healthy immune system
10:00 - 10:15
Training of other disciplines on signs and symptoms of respiratory muscle weakness
10:30 - 11:50
Diseases and Disorders impacting respiration including COVID-19 and evidence- based practice for including respiratory muscle strength training
12:20 - 01:00
Inspiratory and Expiratory Muscle Strength Training – what is the difference?
01:00 - 02:15
Tools and Protocols for Use
- Live Stream - This course is offered from our Live Stream studio. Watch and interact with the instructor from wherever you are or join us as part of the studio audience in sunny Gulf Breeze, FL.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 5 Hrs
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider #AAWA (0.5 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet submission required
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider (0.55AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (5 PDUs)
- 6 Hrs. OT/COTAs in FL (CE Broker #(#20-780534)
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
CIAO Automatically reports to CE Broker for Florida Occupational and Physical Therapists and Assistants.
Florida SLPs can either use the ASHA CE Participant Form (Bubble Sheet) or self-submit through CE Broker.
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
This course is offered for 0.5 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate Level, Professional Area)
This is a new course, there are currently no reviews. Please check back. Thank you and have a great day, CIAO!