This course was developed to improve Clinician understanding of Respiratory Muscle Weakness (RMW), an extremely prevalent issue that is often undertreated. Learners are provided with a comprehensive and inter-professional approach to client: identification, assessment, treatment, documentation and discharge planning for those impacted by RMW. This introductory level course provides insight into Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) to effectively treat RMW. Course provides learners with RMT treatment strategies including the use of devices like; Positive Expiratory Pressure or PEP and PN Medical's inspiratory and expiratory resistance trainer, The Breather.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify 4 conditions that cause respiratory system breakdown and the implications related to Respiratory Muscle Weakness (RMW)
- Name 8 assessments that can be used in identifying RMW and obtaining baseline measures and appropriate discipline specific use
- Use new knowledge of Respiratory Muscle Training (RMT) to implement a program in their setting to improve clinical outcomes
- Relate RMW and RMT to current industry reimbursement changes for best practice application for each setting available evidence.
Elizabeth Page, MA, CCC-SLP (Betsy) has been a Speech Language Pathologist for over 15 years. She is a graduate of the University of Central Florida and has experience in various long-term care settings. Betsy enjoys an interdisciplinary approach to Cardiopulmonary assessment and treatment. She promotes this by actively engaging all team members to participate in a collaborative approach to each client’s needs. She is a leader in her field and strives for great outcomes with each client impacted by Respiratory Muscle Weakness. Betsy has a passion for clinical program implementation and education. She has been a continuing education instructor for 4 years, educating PT, OT, RT, Nursing and SLP healthcare professionals. Her area of expertise is Respiratory Muscle Weakness and Cardiopulmonary conditions. She is a Clinical Consultant, instructor and clinical content developer for a therapy company and serves as PN Medical’s Master Clinician, content expert and continuing education consultant.
Financial Disclosure: Betsy Page received a consulting fee from PN Medical for this recorded course.
Non-Financial Disclosure: no relevant disclosures.
Conditions that cause respiratory system breakdown, identification, and baseline measurements
Discipline specific assessment and treatment tools. Program development. Reimbursement.
Improving clinical outcomes
Beat practice for each setting
- Online - This course is offered in an online, on demand format.
Contact hours pre-approved for:
- 1.0 CE Hours
- CIAO is an ASHA Approved Provider (0.1 ASHA CEUs) bubble sheet required at completion
- CIAO is an AOTA Approved Provider #4119 (0.1 AOTA CEUs)
- This course meets PDU requirements for NBCOT (1.0 PDUs)
- CIAO is an Illinois Approved Provider for PT/PTA Continuing Education
- CIAO is recognized as an Approved Provider for PT/PTAs by the NYSE Dept State Board for PT
- This activity is provided by the Texas Board of PT Examiners Accredited Prov #2202009#TX*
- This activity meets continuing competence requirements for PT/PTA license renewal in TX
- The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE
- CIAO is an Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
- CIAO is a Rule Approved Provider for the Florida Board of Physical Therapy
- The Physical Therapy Board of California recognizes CIAO Seminars as an Approval Agency to Approve Providers Offering Continuing Competency Courses
- The Physical Therapy Board of California has determined that CIAO meets the standards set forth in section 1399.95 of the CA Code of Regulations
- Approved for:
- 1.0 hr OT/COTAs in FL (CEBroker #20-714573)
- 1.0 hr PT/PTAs in AR, CA (CIAO22-05), IL, LA, MD (2020-819), MS, NM, NJ (2112-113), NV
- 1.0 hr PT/PTAs NY, OH (21S2267), TN (#2021-133 expires 9/13/22 ) TX (1.0 CCU*), WV (CIAO-22-01)
- 1.0 contact hr non-traditional Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care Course #184238000
Contact hours applied for:
Course meets requirements for:
PT/PTAs in AL, AK, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT, NE, NH, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, UT, VT, VA, WA, WI, WY
OT/COTAs in AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, KY,, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND
OT/COTAs in OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area)
CIAO is recognized on the NBCOT Provider Registry (meets PDU requirements for NBCOT)
"Great course! Really enjoyed the videos of real life examples and administration of the Breather- will use this in my treatment!"
- Schertz, TX / Feb 2022
"I feel confident as my instruction to the patients and rationale closely aligned with the instructor."
- Valparaiso, IN / Feb 2022
- Grand Forks, ND / Feb 2022
"Loved this course!"
- Somerville, MA / Aug 2021
"I work in the school system and may have a handful of students who would benefit from this tool. I am planning on using it for myself. "
- Marion, MS / Aug 2021
"I loved the videos and resources. Very well organized!"
- Bakersfield, CA / Jul 2021
"I learned more after taking this class. Very informative. thank you for goal samples!"
- Frisco, TX / Jul 2021
"Cost for course was reasonable"
- Golden, CO / Jun 2021
"This topic was very well presented. I will now be able to treat clients with respiratory muscle weakness with new confidence. I liked the presenter. "
- Granada Hills, CA / Jun 2021
"Clear and concise information. This course did a great job in providing me with the information that I need to feel confident incorporating this into my practice. "
- Dallas, TX / Jun 2021
"This was incredibly helpful!! She presented the information so well. She was easy to listen to. Nice clear presentation!!
I would have liked more on how to determine the appropriate level to begin with and also have her talk about the freq. I have watched other videos before about the 2 sets of 10 2x a day but a review would have been nice and how that may look if modified."
- Roanoke, VA / May 2021
"I found the instructional videos helpful"
- LaGrange, IL / Apr 2021
"Wonderful. I am excited to use more with my incoming COVID history patients."
- Middletown, NJ / Apr 2021
"The course was excellent! I will use the information I learned from this course immediately with my patients."
- Madison, WI / Mar 2021
"Presentation was clear and helpful in beginning the process."
- Oakland, CA / Mar 2021
"Great course. Cleared up some questions I had"
- Memphis, TN / Mar 2021
"Great course, could have used a bit more on criteria for number of reps and setting for inhaling and exhaling "
- Wauwatosa, WI / Mar 2021
"Very well done. I look forward to utilizing this in my hospital based acute care practice."
- Salt Lake City, UT / Feb 2021
"comprehensive and well done"
- Rockville Centre, NY / Feb 2021
"The course was a great introduction to the use of the Breather device to target respiratory muscle weakness. "
- Oreland, PA / Jan 2021
"Excellent assessment suggestions to make it accessible to most clinicians of different specialties without breaking the bank!"
- xx, FL / Nov 2020